Wings

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

WASHINGTON (CNN) http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/27/va....ref=mpstoryview

-snip-

The Department of Veterans Affairs has agreed to pay $20 million to current and former military personnel to settle a class action lawsuit on behalf of the men and women whose personal data was on a laptop computer stolen during a burglary.

The names, dates of birth and Social Security numbers of about 26.5 million active duty troops and veterans were on the laptop and external drive, which disappeared while in the custody of a Veterans Affairs data analyst in 2006.

"The defendants [VA] have agreed to pay a lump sum of $20 million to the plaintiffs inclusive of fees and costs in exchange for the dismissal of this litigation," according to the settlement document.

The funds will go to military personnel and veterans who were harmed by the loss of personal data, either through emotional distress or through costs incurred in monitoring credit records.

Gov't Doles Out $20M to Settle Suit Over Private VA Data Leak

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/securi...?wlc=1234735621

-snip-

The payments will range from $75 to $1,500 for up to 26.5 million veterans who incurred out of pocket expenses for credit monitoring or physical symptoms of emotional distress. In exchange, lawyers for the veterans agreed to drop their class-action lawsuit alleging invasion of privacy in a case involving the government's largest data security breach.

The judge's move Tuesday means that lawyers will now notify veterans of the settlement in newspapers and magazines around the country. Once veterans submit their claims, lawyers for both sides will return to court in July for final approval for the payments.

Under the $20 million deal, lawyers for the veterans will receive up to $5.5 million for fees and costs, while roughly $1.4 million will be spent to notify millions of veterans and provide information about the settlement via advertisements in newspapers, magazines and a toll-free hot line.

Any remaining amount after claims are paid will be donated to the Fisher House Foundation, which provides temporary housing for families of veterans receiving medical care at VA hospitals and other facilities, as well as The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which is building a new center in Bethesda, Md., that will be devoted to treatment and research of traumatic brain injury.

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Amazing...

When I got a copy of my husband's C-file, it had medical records of OTHER veterans in it - complete with names, addresses, birthdates, and Social Security numbers.

I sent the VA an IRIS informing them of such - and asked:

1. Could they please check the files of THOSE veterans and see if my husband's discharge physical might happen to be in THEIR file.

2. What they VA wanted me to DO with the medical records and personal information of the OTHER veterans.

Of course, they did not respond to either question.

They merely told me I had received the entire file and there was nothing further they could do to provide me with a copy of my husband's discharge physical.

So I guess I get to keep the information about the OTHER veterans.

I was considering mailing the medical records (of the OTHER veterans) to the OIG - along with the copy of the IRIS I sent - and tell them the VA had not informed me what they want me to do with the confidential medical and personal records of strangers they had sent me - and I was tired of being the keeper of such sensitive information on behalf of the VA. And ask the OIG if they would be willing to relieve me of the responsibility of safeguarding other vets personal data for the VA.

Free

Think Outside the Box!

Amazing...

When I got a copy of my husband's C-file, it had medical records of OTHER veterans in it - complete with names, addresses, birthdates, and Social Security numbers.

I sent the VA an IRIS informing them of such - and asked:

1. Could they please check the files of THOSE veterans and see if my husband's discharge physical might happen to be in THEIR file.

2. What they VA wanted me to DO with the medical records and personal information of the OTHER veterans.

Of course, they did not respond to either question.

They merely told me I had received the entire file and there was nothing further they could do to provide me with a copy of my husband's discharge physical.

So I guess I get to keep the information about the OTHER veterans.

I was considering mailing the medical records (of the OTHER veterans) to the OIG - along with the copy of the IRIS I sent - and tell them the VA had not informed me what they want me to do with the confidential medical and personal records of strangers they had sent me - and I was tired of being the keeper of such sensitive information on behalf of the VA. And ask the OIG if they would be willing to relieve me of the responsibility of safeguarding other vets personal data for the VA.

Free

That's a good idea. I would do that and maybe send a notification to the lawyers who handled this other claim. I know that comprimising SSN #'s is a big deal anymore not to mention confidential medical information.

s/ Mags

We kept our promise and served honorably. Now it is time for the VA to keep their's!

I am not an attorney or VSO and offer my opinions free of charge. Any advice I provide in my posts is from experiences I have had with the VA or I have the knowledge that others have encoutered. I accept no liability for this advice should you chose to follow it.

• Lead Moderator

Free

I agree with purple. The VAOIG needs to know how sloppy the RO's are at treating our sensitive information, so those records should be sent to the appropriate Veterans, and these Veterans certainly deserve special claims handling for shredded documents.