Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Partially Favorable Decision For

Rate this topic

free_spirit_etc

My son got his hearing decision on his claim for Survivor Benefits on my husband's record. He will get the Adult Disabled Child benefits - and move over from SSI to SSD.

The decision wasn't fully favorable - as it only goes back to May 1, 2007 - instead of February 2007. They approved benefits as a legally adopted child as of May 1, 2007 - but not as an equitably adopted child or a step-child in the interim.

We sure had to fight hard to get there. They played some real power games all along. But we ung in there - thanks to all the fine people who kept rooting for us here at hadit!

I haven't heard on my claim yet. I thought they were going to decide it. But now I hear they are going to schedule it for a hearing.

So - that isn't a real good sign. Because the judge said he could make a decision on my claim IF it would be favorable. And they had me run the paperwork over there ASAP! But then, it kind of dropped - and I am told they will schedule a hearing. So that means (to me) they decided they couldn't make a fully favorable decision. Not sure why.

Free

Think Outside the Box!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Wonderful news and all though nit picky at least your son has the benefits established and will be paid. You could still appeal it but I doubt it will win and I don't know if it means 2 or 3 months lost cause it confuses me the way that they do it.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thanks Pete!

Very confusing to me too! But the battle has shown me that the key to winning is in noticing what they choose to ignore.

It seems to be a matter of getting them to acknowledge something - because once they acknowledge it - they have to let you win.

In this case, they ignored my son's legal adoption. My husband legally adopted my son. We had one final hearing to go when my husband died.

But in our state, adoptions proceed to final judgement even if one of the parties dies in the interum. (i.e. the child and the other adopting parent aren't "penalized" by the other parent's death).

Social Security kept giving me reasons my son did not qualify as a stepchild, equitably adopted child, or child adopted by the number holder's surviving spouse. But it took me MANY times of reading the reconsideration to realize they had NOT made a determination in regard to whether he qualified as a LEGALLY ADOPTED child. They remained totally silent on the issue.

They didn't even try to say "You don't qualify as a legally adopted child, as your legal adoption was not final until after the number holder's death" because he was certainly my husband's legally adopted child - and as a legally adopted child he DID qualify! There were no policies to interpret, no weight to be given to any evidence - it was cut and dried. So they just IGNORED the legal adoption in the decisions. They remained totally silent on the issue!!!!

I even pointed out that they had remained silent on the issue I asked that they make an INTIAL determination as to my son's status as a legally adopted child, submitting the question to Regional Council for a legal opinion if neccessary.

Their response to that was - “The question is reserved as to whether you can be validly adopted in Illinois solely by your natural mother after her husband’s death.”

They really dug in and made sure that they danced all around the fact that my son was my husband's legally adopted child. Because once they admitted that he was they could no longer find any basis (whether valid or not) to deny him benefits.

I firmly believe that the key to winning a claim often lies in the issues they choose to ignore. I also firmly believe that when they play such games as choosing to ignore an issue - especially when you directly point it out and ask for a decision on that issue - that they are INTENTIONALLY trying to deny you benefits to which they know you are entitled.

I also beleive that is unethical.

Free

Wonderful news and all though nit picky at least your son has the benefits established and will be paid. You could still appeal it but I doubt it will win and I don't know if it means 2 or 3 months lost cause it confuses me the way that they do it.
Think Outside the Box!

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use