VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unopened Claims Letters Hidden At Va Offices

pacmanx1

Damn, when will they learn that this S H _ T is going on at all the VAROs. What the difference in a dishonorable vet. falsify evidence and government employees shred or hide evidence to deny or withhold benefits to veterans, their widows or dependents. They all should go to Jail.

Unopened claims letters hidden at VA offices By RICK MAZE March 03, 2009 A new report about Veterans Affairs Department employees squirreling away tens of thousands of unopened letters related to benefits claims is sparking fresh concerns that veterans and their survivors are being cheated out of money. VA officials acknowledge further credibility problems based on a new report of a previously undisclosed 2007 incident in which workers at a Detroit regional office turned in 16,000 pieces of unprocessed mail and 717 documents turned up in New York in December during amnesty periods in which workers were promised no one would be penalized. “Veterans have lost trust in VA,” Michael Walcoff, VA’s under secretary for benefits, said at a hearing Tuesday. “That loss of trust is understandable, and winning back that trust will not be easy.” Unprocessed and unopened mail was just one problem in VA claims processing mentioned by Belinda Finn, VA’s assistant inspector general for auditing, in testimony before the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee. Auditors also found that the dates recorded for receiving claims, which in many cases determine the effective date for benefits payments, are wrong in many cases because of intentional and unintentional errors, Finn said. The worst case uncovered by auditors involved the New York regional office, where employees testified that managers told staff to put later dates on claims to make it appear claims were being processed faster. A review found that 56 percent of claims had incorrect dates, although no evidence was found of incorrect or delayed benefits payments. Finn said workers reported that this practice had been used for years. The new report comes as VA is trying to resolve an earlier controversy involving documents essential to the claims process that were discovered in bins awaiting shredding at several regional offices, which raised questions about how many past claims had been delayed or denied because of intentional or unintentional destruction of documentation. ‘It is impossible not to be shocked’ Kathryn Witt of Gold Star Wives of America said survivors trying to receive VA benefits have long complained about problems getting accurate information and missing claims. “When they call to check on the status of the claim, they are often told that the VA has no record of their claim and that they should resubmit their paperwork,” she said. In one case, a woman claimed she had to submit paperwork to VA three times to prove she was married and had three children, Witt said. And having to resubmit the same claim, she added, does nothing to reduce the backlog that already forces survivors to wait six to nine months for simple claims to be approved. “It is impossible not to be shocked by the numbers from Detroit,” said Rep. Harry Mitchell, D-Ariz., who chairs the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee’s oversight and investigations panel. “Shredding documents or burying them in the bottom drawer is a breach of trust. Whether that breach of trust comes as a consequence of inadequate training or negligent or deliberate behavior, Congress must not and will not tolerate it.” It is unclear, however, whether there is any short-term fix. A permanent solution is to have a fully electronic claims process to establish a record of when documents are received and their status as they move through the process. A fully electronic system will not be in place before 2011, VA officials said. Kerry Baker of Disabled American Veterans said a short-term answer could be to scan all documents related to claims into computer systems. Baker, DAV’s assistant national legislative director, said this could be done at one or more large-scale imaging centers that would transform paper into electronic records. “A large section of the veterans community and representatives of the community have long felt that the Veterans Benefits Administration operates in such a way that stalls the claims process until frustrated claimants either give up or die,” Baker said. He said that although he doesn’t believe that is true, something must be done. “Denying earned benefits by illegally destroying records should serve as the proverbial wake-up call that signals the urgency of this overdue transformation,” he said. Geneva Moore, a senior veterans service representative from Winston-Salem, N.C., who testified on behalf of the American Federation of Government Employees, a union that counts about 160,000 VA workers among its members, said backdating claims and document shredding are signs of a claims system under stress. “Clearly, if the disability claims process were already paperless, many of the problems being considered at this hearing today would no longer exist,” she said.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I am stunned.

My thoughts. First, approve all the claims.widow(er)s first. Amnesty? hm. Then formal freeze, probation or dismissals, contracted professional agency integration, after public testimony and apologies to our nations veterans and families.

I thank God for the professional Va employees, sure this disgrace is hard on them.

Cg'up2009!

It was really something- I loved Ron ABrams (NVLSP) description of VA claims process like the I love Lucy show when she and Ethel were stuffing chocolates into their clothes and eating them because the candy factory production line was speeded up.

I took lots of notes on it all but missed whole last half of hearing-the manure spreader pulled up in my driveway ( a sign of SPRING!)and the farmer who works my top fields had the planting rotation schedule he needed to go over with me.

BTW they post the hearing tapes so they can be listened to anytime at the H VAC site.Will catch it all again today.

I am sure we will discuss this tonight at SVR radio.

Edited by Berta

• 5 months later...
  • HadIt.com Elder

The VA threw away one of my claims for compensation for Fee Base. The VA actually admitted it. They said that one of their employees got mad and threw my claim in the trash because he did not want to work it. There is something called unauthorized expense. I had dental work done while my IU claim was waiting to be granted. I asked for reimbursement for the cost of the dental work. I got the money but it took 6 months due to this employee who threw my claim away. Nothing happened to him. I was persistent as hell or I would have never known. How often does this go on?