Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Opposite Claims Question

Rate this question

purple

Question

I took note of the topic of the hassel of going through the claims process....with the thousands of folks here on Hadit I just wanted to know if anyone else on here, besides me, has had a positive experience with the claims process?

My claim was processed in under a year...I did it all myself...and I received 100% IU, P&T, no further exams req.

I can't be the only one who has had success with a claim.

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It took me 5 years to get IU which is not P&T and with review every 6 years....How can I get it change to P&T?

Edited by Maurice

DAV IU 100%

There are many variables. It depends on what you are rated for...getting your doc (or docs) to write supporting statements that you are P&T...and having the medical records to back-up that you are P&T.

All of mine was done at the same time. I didn't specifically ask for P&T, it was just granted based on my specific issues.

Purple..

No offense, but I have met hundreds of Veterans and not one told me they had a "positive claim experience". I am interested to see if other Vets, have had, like you..good luck with the VBA.

I wish it did boil down to evidence, because I have had favorable medical opinions from 2002- 2009, and the RO still denied my claims 4 TIMES. For example, my audiologist stated, "Veterans hearing loss is most likely caused by military service". It did not matter, the RO denied it anyway. It took years of appeals to get them to do what they should have done, and they still have not done it.

VA is so broken they have you convinced that "under a year" is good service, when IRS sends tax refunds electronically in about 2 weeks. It used to take the IRS about 2 months to send refunds, before electronic returns were accepted. And please dont tell my that the tax returns are less complex than applying for VA benefits, because, as complicated as VA benefits are, they are relatively simple compared to IRS tax laws. Remember..our medical records at the VA are Already online, so they can have instant access to them just like our doctors do.

Edited by broncovet

Bronco-

I know you are beyond frustrated with the VARO.

When I submitted my claim, everything was still paper copies...but I provided the VARO everything they needed...tabbed, highlighted, and indexed so that they wouldn't have to refer to my SMRs. I had my own copy of my SMRs, to include all of my active duty mental health records. I believe this was a tremendous help as well.

That's why I highly encourage all those who visit Hadit and are still active duty to make copies of their SMRs prior to getting out of the service and to use them when submitting their claim...not to rely on what the VARO might or might not have access to.

I also feel it's important to submit all evidence the first time. It may take longer to put the claim together...but submitting a complete package the first time is imperative. I read on here so often that after a vet has submitted a claim they come across another piece of evidence they forgot and need to add...that just slows up the processs or brings it to a screeching halt...or worse, the claim is denied because that one item was left out and then the appeals begin.

I'm just saying with alot of hard work....and a ton of diligence this can be done. A positive experience can be had with a VARO.

Purple..

It is awesome that you are so organized..knew VA laws before you filed a claim, knew what evidence to "highlight", and could get this all done the first time without error. Many Veterans are very unskilled in these areas, but have serious injuries/disabilities and are entitled to compensation for their service connected injuries.

Also, many of these sick Veterans are homeless, and dont have a pen and paper, much less a computer with internet access to check on VA laws.

They dont know what a "VSO" is, and they dont know who to ask.

I dont think VA benefits should be "graded" on your organization skills, writing ability, or ability to obtain medical records, some of which have been long lost in battle. VA benefits are not a "term paper" which you turn in for a disability "grade" of 0 through 100%. As someone said, the sickest of all Vets are the least likely to be able to efficiently organize all their medical evidence and send it to the VA and win their claim.

I have a Bachelors Degree, and have been submitting evidence for 7 years, and cant get the RO to award benefits even though my doctors, social security, Veterans life insurance, and the BVA all agree that I should be awarded benefits.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use