Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

Ok, so in 07 I started having back pain and finally had a MRI. Findings were herinated disk L5-S1. After several steroid injections, nothing helped. A year later my disk collasped and I decided have a disk fusion. So had the fusion and now a year later I am having pain going down my thigh to my heel. I am currently active duty and I was affraid of getting med boarded out. I have a friend who works for the VA, and so I gave her my medical records to just have someone to give me an estimate on a disability percentage just in case I get boarded out. She said it would only be around 10 percent. This was not documented, just a favor for a friend. I have not been a doc to measure my flexability which I know play's a role in all this.

Well I am still active, but now with the pain radiating down my leg: I am having issues with my bladder and I will be seeing a nueologist very soon. If I am understanding this correctly from what my doc say's this can be cuased from my surgery. I have everything documented, and even got a permanate waiver from the docter stating that I cannot take part of the sit and reach portion of the physical fitnesss test due to my loss of flexibility. I guess I am just a little confused. I mean if I get out do I go see a VA doc to measure my flexability? Is that when I claim things? I am reading everyone's post but still somewhat confused about the process. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. Be sure and review Hadit Home Page there is a lot of information that can help.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

You are getting some very bad advice from your VA friend. I think you can get mroe than 10% especially if your bladder is affected. Our friend Rentalguy or TestVet can advise you more on this.

If you think you are confused now, you will be more confused once you apply for VA benefits.

I applied back in 2002, and the VA tells us it is a six month wait. That would put us to 2003. This is 2009, six years after that, and I still have received only partial benefits in spite of a successfull appeal which awarded me "A complete grant of benefit sought".

And if you think I am confused, you should go to the Cleveland Regional Office. I complained to the VA Office of Inspector General in December of last year because of shredded documents. The OIG sent me a letter to contact the VARO about my shredded documents. The RO says they dont know anything about the VAOIG notice...the RO in Cleveland only understands 3 things:

1. It is not the fault of the RO..it must be the VEterans fault.

2. If not possible to deny the claim right away, delay it until the Veteran gives up or dies.

3. IN all other circumstances, deny the claim quickly to keep your numbers under six months.

4. Cover up any thing else, and award bonuses for good service to Veterans. (Yea, I know I said three, that is why they are covering up the 4th one.)

I still have received only partial benefits in spite of a successfull appeal which awarded me "A complete grant of benefit sought".

It wears on me to see this so often... I know there are problems within the VA system, and I know that it lacks consistency and care in many cases. I know that there are many out there who are not happy, and for some the only thing that will make them happy is money.

When you apply for benefits, you are applying for Service-Connection of a disability. You don't write on your application (526, 4138, etc.) that you are applying for a grant of a certain dollar amount. Thus, when BVA, CAVC, or AMC or whoever says that you are awarded "A complete grant of benefit sought" it means exactly what it says. You applied for Service-Connection, and you are awarded Service-Connection. It doesn't imply and never has implied money.

It does award you with medical care, and that is something that many people do not have.

Sorry.....I just disagree with that statement being used that way.

Edited by Meddac

If you meet the criteria for a percentage you can ask for that percentage when you file you claim (ie., reguest back condition at 40%, urinary incontenince at 20%, painful scare at 10%...). When you ask like that, they have to justify not giving it to you at that rate!

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

If you meet the criteria for a percentage you can ask for that percentage when you file you claim (ie., reguest back condition at 40%, urinary incontenince at 20%, painful scare at 10%...). When you ask like that, they have to justify not giving it to you at that rate!

How do I know at what percentage I fall under? I mean dont the VA decides that right?