Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When A Sc Condition Affects A Non Sc Condition?

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hello Folks I got a question for anyone with the answer. I have a SC condition High Blood Pressure that has done many malicous things to my body so far. I was with a shirnk from the VA who has helped me a good bit but she recomeded that I should consult with an Doctor to get an IMO that tied the High blood pressure that is driven higher sometimes with my PTSD. I am already rated for the Migraines as secondary and I have a lot of things that tend to cause my blood pressure to shopot way out the roof sometimes as a result of my PTSD. I have and continue to have a lot of problems with my PTSd but I understand completely how it gets in the way of normal life. I just wanted to ask has anyone heard of such a claim or reasoning? I do not intend to tie up the system with claims I have no chance in winning but just a thought. For the record my PTSD is not service connected even though I had a lot of harsh stuff I witnessed in service. I had a buddy fall off the tent and impail himself on them metal tent rods from the GP large tents fell off the roof of the tent right in front of me blood was spraying and then had to lift him up off the thing and airlift him out from the area. Lots more stuff than that but I was the one usally got the injuries my Medical file reads like a who who of the ER. Blown up in a shower unit in Korea, Tossed out of a moving amtrack, Jeep wreck into a concrette barrier on guard duty the list goes on and on. I just am waiting like everyone else on the last claim to come back. Adios and have a good day

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hello Folks I got a question for anyone with the answer. I have a SC condition High Blood Pressure that has done many malicous things to my body so far. I was with a shirnk from the VA who has helped me a good bit but she recomeded that I should consult with an Doctor to get an IMO that tied the High blood pressure that is driven higher sometimes with my PTSD. I am already rated for the Migraines as secondary and I have a lot of things that tend to cause my blood pressure to shopot way out the roof sometimes as a result of my PTSD. I have and continue to have a lot of problems with my PTSd but I understand completely how it gets in the way of normal life. I just wanted to ask has anyone heard of such a claim or reasoning? I do not intend to tie up the system with claims I have no chance in winning but just a thought. For the record my PTSD is not service connected even though I had a lot of harsh stuff I witnessed in service. I had a buddy fall off the tent and impail himself on them metal tent rods from the GP large tents fell off the roof of the tent right in front of me blood was spraying and then had to lift him up off the thing and airlift him out from the area. Lots more stuff than that but I was the one usally got the injuries my Medical file reads like a who who of the ER. Blown up in a shower unit in Korea, Tossed out of a moving amtrack, Jeep wreck into a concrette barrier on guard duty the list goes on and on. I just am waiting like everyone else on the last claim to come back. Adios and have a good day

Seems to me that you should contact a VSO as soon as possible and see if you can obtain copies of your service medical records and then go over your problems with him and to see about filing the proper claims to the VA. Go for it

[based upon your statement that you were retired medically from the service in 2001 with PTSD, then, yes, you should put in for PTSD with the VA.

Being rated for a civilian PTSD may also muddy up the water, or at least be used as an excuse to deny, so you probably need to get ready for several rounds of denials, however, it would probably be worth it to you to get PTSD..The compensation for Veterans is heavily weighted for the totally disabled Veteran, for example a 50% Veteran does not get near half of what a 100% Veteran does..go figure.

The VA will likely argue that your PTSD is civilian and not military, however, in the end your medical evidence should win out even tho the VA will probably try to deny it and use your money interest free for ten years or so. It is the "VA way" and this is precisely what so many Veterans are complaining about.

Edited by broncovet

oldman273

Since you were in the military before you retired medically from work I would guess given the stressors you listed that your PTSD was caused from the military . Just because you were diagnosed with PTSD from the job does not mean that is were it actually came from it would be easy to argue and win PTSD all you have to do is a good write up detailing all your stressors make sure you give names of people you saw hurt if you have them and dates if you can remember them and since you have your med records most of that should be easy to prove. High blood pressure can be SC'd secondary PTSD as well as the heart if you have that problem .

• HadIt.com Elder

If you want SC for PTSD from military I would forget about mentioning PTSD from civilian job. Don't even bring it up. Don't use any records that discuss civilian PTSD. The VA will try and say that your PTSD is due to civilian occupation, so just forget that part.