Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health

Rate this question

Jim MAC

Question

I went for a follow up vist with my primary care physcian as we were talking he said i sounded a little depressed. We were talking about problems on my job due to SC disablties. He gave me some pills I thought nothing of it now today I get a letter in the mail for a appt at mental health. I am not rated for mental health reason I never claimned any mental condtions. What happens if I no show? Do I have to go

Thanks all

Jim

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you decide not to go and you can do that please call and cancel your appointment.

• HadIt.com Elder

There was a reason your doctor prescribed the medication.

There was/is a reason why you have been scheduled for a mental health visit.

What is your reason why not?

And, no, you don't have to go. I mean, they can't make you go.

But, just a little word to the wise, from a guy that has been there.

I was the King Of De Nile......for 40+ years.

Truse me when I say that I am much better off now than I was then.

I went for a follow up vist with my primary care physcian as we were talking he said i sounded a little depressed. We were talking about problems on my job due to SC disablties. He gave me some pills I thought nothing of it now today I get a letter in the mail for a appt at mental health. I am not rated for mental health reason I never claimned any mental condtions. What happens if I no show? Do I have to go

Thanks all

Jim

The physician definitely feels like some therapy and medication may help you. Just because you aren't rated for depression doesn't mean that you don't have it or that you can't be rated for it. If you go make sure you talk to the psychiatrist about getting it service connected. Maybe your service connected disabilities are the cause of some problems you are having.

You know me....devil's advocate. As for the appt...I'd say go...it can't hurt anything. What has me curious are the meds. Your PCP gave you meds after briefly speaking to you and saying you were a "little depressed"? Anti-depressants are nothing to mess around with...they have lots of side effects. This would be another reason to go to the appt. Make sure you really need to be on meds....but don't stop taking them!!!!!! Only a doc can advise this!!!

I'm just speaking from years of experience with these meds, they are best monitored by a psych doc.

• In Memoriam

This question was part of the Congressional hearing today. Why are there 300,000 PTSD Vets with compensation and 400,000 are reported to have it? Why is there a 100,000 difference?

Answers from the DoD and VBA, were over the place. VBA even suggested that they did such a good job at helping the Vet that the Vets probably didn't even apply for compensation. In other words if the Vet doesn't apply for compensation the Vet most likely doesn't have it. Congressman Hall even congratulated the VA for its fine outreach program.

My Opinion is that the Vet can not mentally hack the process of getting compensation when the Vet does first get out.

The hearing link is posted in my other post. 1154 {b}

• HadIt.com Elder

I refused to admit I had issues for decades, I was part of the problem, I was an Infantry NCO, I was taught to "suck it up" well I did for more than 30 years until I finally had a total melt down, by the time I "admitted" I had a problem my GAF was 30 and I was not "employable" any longer, it doesn't sound like you are there yet

I suggest you keep the appointment and let the mental health doctors sort it out they sent me to a team of doctors to rule out PTSD all they did was confirm I had a severe case of PTSD after more than 4 months of tests and interviews I don't know who was more surpised by the diagnosis me or my shrink but he has been my best asset during my compensation claim with the VARO he is the Chief of clinic and his notes are impeccable and they could not argue with him they first awarded me 50% and after appeal they awarded me 100% P&T doctors notes can and will make your case for you

but it's more about the help than it is a comp claim but if you have one file it