Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health

Rate this question

Jim MAC

Question

I went for a follow up vist with my primary care physcian as we were talking he said i sounded a little depressed. We were talking about problems on my job due to SC disablties. He gave me some pills I thought nothing of it now today I get a letter in the mail for a appt at mental health. I am not rated for mental health reason I never claimned any mental condtions. What happens if I no show? Do I have to go

Thanks all

Jim

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim Mac, I was a 'disbeliever' in depression. Heck, even the word sounds depressing. I also got a referral from the primary care clinic. Started out in mental health with an odd doc, now I have two good ones. A psych counselor and psychiatrist(meds). I think it took me a bunch to get over the self stigma, just denying being someone with depression. Learned it doesnt have me but I have it, not a mdd cg, but cg with mdd. Keeps me first. No big deal anymore, well, sorta, its a normal part of me and I am totally 'normal' here on Hadit. (Hope that sounds right?! :angry: )

Hey guy, all the best to ya,

Cowgirl'up2009!

p.s. mdd - major depression disorder 30%.

Edited by cowgirl

All I have to say is "there goes your sex life." This drug had a horrible side affect of impotence for me anyway.

Jay

Thabks All

Guess I take my coca pops and go, Got to laugh at myself. I always said as far as medical care my DR at the VAMC beats the health care I had for 24 years in USAF hands down. The pills he has put me on is paroxetine. anybody know anything about them, Berta can't afford to retire right now child support to high

jim

• HadIt.com Elder

I knew a combat vet from Viet Nam who refused to see doctors. When he got into his fifties he was falling over his neuropathy got so bad.

So he goes to the VA and while in the waiting room they give him a questioneer that asked him how much alcohol he drank. When the primary doctor saw how much he drank he scheduled a mental health exam. less than a year later he was 100% P&T for PTSD. I bave cited this case before as an example of the fact that the system can protect veterans if it wants to. Maybe it is just tokenism. I do not know.

Edited by Hoppy

• HadIt.com Elder

I would not see Doc's except for the rides I had in ambulances starting in my Military Service.

I am seeing a shrink now but had not seen one from 2000 to 2008.

Like most things in life you eventually learn how to manage as best you can and I can honestly say except for prescribing xanax I find little or no value in so called Professionals who can see you for 5 or 10 minutes every 3 months.

I learned more talking to others who have panic disorder than I ever learned at VA. I probably am speaking out of my rear but I also think I know more about it than the VA Docs also.

I also know that you can discuss your treatment and they really have to involve you in making decisions.

Good Luck

At a minimum, a psychiatrist is usually the person who prescribes medicines related to mental health issues (depression, bi-polar, etc), so your 'primary' is probably not that comfortable giving you more than a 'few pills' without your having been seen by a psychiatrist. In fact that may be VA policy.

As for whether or not either medication or psychotherapy is needed or would be helpful, is not a simple question and not the kind of thing that can be addressed without some guidance from experts. Depression can be mild or can be quite serious and it usually changes over time, so doing some reading about it and talking with some professionals (more than one preferably) makes sense.

I suggest you include a look at mindfulness based cognitive therapy which is fairly new and offers methods to deal with depression that are based neither on anti-depression drugs (which are not benign) or psychotherapy. Also it has been found in study after study that physical exercise lessens depression.

Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Stretch

I agree that most vets with emotional problems are probably not able to get it together enough to file a claim within the first year after discharge. Someone filed on my behalf within the first year because I was locked up in the rubber room. I don't remember filing a claim, but a claim was filed and I got 10% ( 28 dollars a month) given the fact I was homeless and unable to work. The VA really knows how to help a vet when they are down and out.