Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property Tax

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

I asked accountant if I could save on property tax by being 100% service connected and it cost me. There is a question on the tax credit form that ask if you get VA disability and if so how much VA disability you get and because of what I get she had to change my amount getting back subtracting $800.00.

A guy I know that is also 100% goes to the same accountant and he never mentioned his VA benefits and of course she never ask. So he is getting all his tax credit.

If I hadn`t ask about possible property tax benefits for 100% vets I would have $800.00 more in my pocket. Its a Homestead Property Tax Credit.

Cavman

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I asked accountant if I could save on property tax by being 100% service connected and it cost me. There is a question on the tax credit form that ask if you get VA disability and if so how much VA disability you get and because of what I get she had to change my amount getting back subtracting $800.00.

A guy I know that is also 100% goes to the same accountant and he never mentioned his VA benefits and of course she never ask. So he is getting all his tax credit.

If I hadn`t ask about possible property tax benefits for 100% vets I would have $800.00 more in my pocket. Its a Homestead Property Tax Credit.

Cavman

Cavman,

I'm pretty darned sure someone is wrong on this.

A person is NOT GOING TO BE CHARGED A PENALTY OF ADDITIONAL PROPERTY TAXES in any state - due to being a 100 % SC'd veteran.

What state do you live in ?

carlie

If your 100% in New Jersey, you have no property tax. Just take your 100% letter from the va, and present it to the tax collector, they will make a copy of the letter, and the next cycle your taxes are due, then it stops. An assemblyman in NJ introduced a bill to have any veteran with any percentage to have your property tax reduced by that amount. Utah already has this.... Your compensation is tax free..

• HadIt.com Elder

I pay less than 1/2 the tax that I would if I did not have Veteran, Disabled and Homestead Tax. You don't have to choose between one or other sounds like the tax accountant does not know her stuff.

What State are you talking about.

In Idaho there is no property tax credit for disabled veterans. There is a 'circut breaker' in this county that reduces taxes based on income and medical expenses. At 100%, veterans do not have to include VA comp as income. I get about a 50% reduction but it varies by year.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your accountant is full of it.

It is not based on your income, It is based on your disabled status.

Look up the requirements on your state web site.

You should file it with your PVA.

J

I would assume every state in the union would offer some tax relief for 100 SC Vets. It should be such a given.

Anyway, PA offers an exemption from property taxes for all 100% SC Vets. I am shock that some states won't.