Adjustment Disorder

Rate this question

ddm39142002navy

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

what is an adjustment disorder and how is it rated is it considered dperession or is it a seperate entiity

new ptsd term. if yuo adjust yoru car seta and falla out you have adjut ment disoder.

I read many BVA cases recently to find an answer to the question "is adjustment disorder service connnectable"?

The only cases I found were secondary to another service connected chronic medical condition. Headaches were the most common cases that were awarded. I would suggest that you find some BVA cases relating to this question. The only ones I found that were awarded were secondary to chronic service connected medical conditions.

Adjustment disorder is a condition that is caused by a trigger or stressor. I could see shrinks using this as an initial diagnosis to a stressor. However, if the symptoms persist for over six months after the stressor is removed they would need to change it to another mental condition. This is pretty much what the DSM says. Note on critera "E". The diagnosis applies when "The symptoms DO NOT persist for an addition six months."

The diagnostic criteria in the DSM-IV are

A. The development of emotional or behavioral symptoms in response to an identifiable stressor(s) occurring within three months of the onset of the stressor(s).

B. These symptoms or behaviors are clinically significant as evidenced by either of the following:

1. marked distress that is in excess of what would be expected from exposure to the stressor

2. significant impairment in social or occupational (academic) functioning

C. The stress-related disturbance does not meet the criteria for another specific Axis I disorder and is not merely an exacerbation of a preexisting Axis I or Axis II disorder.

D. The symptoms do not represent Bereavement.

E. Once the stressor (or its consequences) has terminated, the symptoms do not persist for more than an additional six months.

My take on all this is that an adjustment disorder is a milder form of PTSD due to a less intense stressor...which seems sort of subjective on the part of the examiner. I believe it can also be chronic as a secondary condition since that's what my psych comp exam impression indicated. No decision back on this though yet.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA uses adjustment disorder as proof of a personality disorder. My classic case of Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia was first diagnosed as Hyperventilation Disorder Adult Situational Adjustment Maladjustment which by the way there is no such thing in the DVM Book that they claim is their bible.

By the way with this diagnosis I was ok enough to be the only Crypto Person in the Squadron with a Top Secret Clearance and only enlisted who cared a 45 pistol as part of my duties.

Anything like this needs to be analyzed thoroughly and taken apart till it no longer stands up. I requested a diagnosis that the rater was using and I also showed how I did not fit the profile of almost all wh have personality disorders.

There is one more group besides Anxiety Disorders that the VA misdiagnoses and calls personality disorder and that is skitzo disorders. I doubt that I spelled it right but I hope everyone gets the idea.

I know that the Military still heaps Personality Disorders on Veterans that they have used up just to get rid of them and not pay them.

Sorry for the rant

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

While active-duty, I would sometimes hear myself saying (to myself), "You'd have to be crazy to volunteer for military service". Years later, I still think it's true! I say this tenderly, and with compassion, and I volunteered.

On another note, it angers me, that the VA does not use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (currently DSM IV) properly; nor do many in the medical profession.

In DSM-IV, only personality disorders and mental retardation are segregated onto Axis II; while Axis 1 diagnoses are reserved for all other psychiatric disorders.

With the VA, current law and regulation allow for both possibilities to be carefully ordered into the multiaxis system of diagnoses; and, a pperson could have a personality disorder, and also have PTSD, major depression, anxiety, etc., all stemming from recent stressors --and not a remote childhood.

The placement of personality disorders in the DSM IV multiaxis system is serious cause for debate in the scientific community. While some clinicians feel that the personality d/o should find it's placement on Axis 1, so as not to be overlooked or underestimated; others (like myself) think that the personality disorder(ed) in childhood should not overshadow the adult's contemporary mental health or mental illnesses.

While the more serious personality disorders are not compatable with military service, other personality disorders seem to work themselves, and resolve over time, with life experience and maturity. It takes a compassionate, trained clinition to properly diagnose and thoughtfully place the currennt mental illness into the DSM multiaxis system.

The VA is tasked with "protecting the interests of the government", and unfortunately, many will limit the equal protections afforded the injured veteran.

Just thinking out loud ... ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

The military also will look at a person who has a psychotic disorder, and find some evidence they have a PD (like taking drugs or driking too much) and use that to kick them out with no compensation. Then they get to the VA and the VA waves the PD diagnosis in front of them. All designed to save the military and VA a buck. With the VA you are forced to prove that you are crazy in order to get compensation. That is part of the humiliation process to break you down and get you to go away.

Adjustment disorders are compensable under CFR 38, but.... as stated by Hoppy it has been MY experience that they do not award under it for some reason. Now this is just MY experience but I firmly believe that the service branch and the VA both use it as a tool to under-rate both medical discharges and VA ratings.

Put simply I believe the VA AND the service branch uses the term "adjustment disorder" in place of more specific diagnosis like PTSD, or Mood disorder- depression, or panic disorder. I have seen again and again where they have service connected it at 0%, or simply denied service connection completely.