Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Feeling Ashamed, But Must Ask.

Rate this question

livingrock21

Question

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place or not, if I'm not please move to the correct place.

As you can tell by the title, I never thought I'd be asking the questions I'm about to be asking, but am out of options.

Right now, I'm living with extended family, and my family could be on the street at any moment. I'm very greatful for the opportunity that I've been given to live here, but the living situation has been getting worse, and seems to be declining very quickly.

As some of y'all may know, I currently have an appeal in with the VA, and have been hoping that went through. If they'd just adjucate the damn thing like they should, I wouldn't be in this position.

Alright, enough beating around the bush. I'm currently at 40%, and am also recieving SSDI for my service related conditions(only income I have comming in). I've also applied for TDIU, but that wasn't very long ago. If they'd hurry up and adjucate that also, I wouldn't be asking what I'm about to ask.

I recently came across the HUD's rental voucher program. What income(VA compensation/SSDI) do they use as qualifications? I know they take 30% of your income, and supplement the rest of the rent/utilities. I live in PA, I wonder how long it will take. I'm not even sure what else to ask. If there's anything else I should know, please let me know. I'm also thinking about applying for food stamps. My family is hardly living. I know some vets are making less and surviving, but I accumulated bills while active duty(was able to easily pay them then, also I would have stayed active but was medically outed), and now it seems by the time I'm done paying bills, there's no way I could even afford a card board box(there's left over money, but no where near enough to afford a place, and all the bills that come along with it).

Like I said before, it's taken me awhile to come to terms with everything, but the way I figure it. If the government(VA) would adjucate my claim properly, I wouldn't be asking the government for help(HUD).

Thanks for your time, and any info is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Edited by livingrock21

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Rock:

Sorry that you are jammed up mainly cause the VA can't get their act together. You probably need to get to the nearest VAMC and ask them to help cause you are on the edge for being homeless. Would not hurt to check other options also. You really have to kind of beat the bushes and yes there is help.

If you have not done so every Vet who is enrolled at VA has a Social Worker assigned to them. I suggest that you go find yours and ask them to help you.

Good Luck

• In Memoriam

You can request hardship expidite. You can also fill out form 22-527, which is for pension while waiting SC. This 22-527 form is a different version than the 22-526.

I have added the post link too the Form.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20177

Edited by Stretch

• HadIt.com Elder

if you are getting SSD then you are not eligible for a VA Pension as it is needs based, and they don't consider bills as needed expenses, they were choices....I agree with Pete ask for an expidited decision due to the soon to be homeless fact, financial hardship is provable especially with your bill load, but remember fast for the VA is anythig less than a year

in my case my lawyer told them I was on the short end of the life expectancy of Congestive heart failure in August 2008 I got my BVA hearing in feb 4 3009 and got my award on April 7 2009, which is lightening speed for the BVA.

Good luck, check into Catholic social services (they have the best program) check into vet organizations and churches ask your debt holders to refinance the debt until you get on better financial footing

I agree, when I was recently awarded an increase to 80%, one of the evidence they had listed on the SOC was my repeat phone call to them that I was not living at my primary residence and was techinically without a home. While that might not be the exact reason, it was heard. I have also told the same thing to my VSO. May I ask if you are an OIF VET? If so, there are many other organizations out there to assist you. And in PA ( where I am from also ), go to your county VA assistance office. They have state funded financial hardship for VETS. I got some help from them before.

Good luck brother.

hi livingrock, i never dreamed that i would ask for help from hud but i did 2 years ago when i was 44 but i had too and they really helped me. at that time i only received a small pension for 87.00 and welfare for 87.00, 174.00 a month. i paid 30% a month, 52.00 for a 1 br apt in a city housing complex. since then i have been approved for ssdi and 30% sc for a total of 1,700 a month. should be paying 510.00 but the max is 475.00 but i am only paying 372.00. they take into consideration what you paid the last year for doctor visits, medical coverage, medication, almost everything medically related. i am happy that i went to them for help. i feel that i finally got a break in this life B) . i can afford another place now but i am staying put. i live in pa. i can remember paying 450.00 rent in 1989 and now 372.00, wow, i feel good. well, i hope that i have been of some help to you.

Thanks pete. I didn't know the va assigned a social worker to enrolled veterans. I will look mine up, we have a lot to talk about.

Thanks pete. I didn't know the va assigned a social worker to enrolled veterans. I will look mine up, we have a lot to talk about.