Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Feeling Ashamed, But Must Ask.

Rate this question

livingrock21

Question

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place or not, if I'm not please move to the correct place.

As you can tell by the title, I never thought I'd be asking the questions I'm about to be asking, but am out of options.

Right now, I'm living with extended family, and my family could be on the street at any moment. I'm very greatful for the opportunity that I've been given to live here, but the living situation has been getting worse, and seems to be declining very quickly.

As some of y'all may know, I currently have an appeal in with the VA, and have been hoping that went through. If they'd just adjucate the damn thing like they should, I wouldn't be in this position.

Alright, enough beating around the bush. I'm currently at 40%, and am also recieving SSDI for my service related conditions(only income I have comming in). I've also applied for TDIU, but that wasn't very long ago. If they'd hurry up and adjucate that also, I wouldn't be asking what I'm about to ask.

I recently came across the HUD's rental voucher program. What income(VA compensation/SSDI) do they use as qualifications? I know they take 30% of your income, and supplement the rest of the rent/utilities. I live in PA, I wonder how long it will take. I'm not even sure what else to ask. If there's anything else I should know, please let me know. I'm also thinking about applying for food stamps. My family is hardly living. I know some vets are making less and surviving, but I accumulated bills while active duty(was able to easily pay them then, also I would have stayed active but was medically outed), and now it seems by the time I'm done paying bills, there's no way I could even afford a card board box(there's left over money, but no where near enough to afford a place, and all the bills that come along with it).

Like I said before, it's taken me awhile to come to terms with everything, but the way I figure it. If the government(VA) would adjucate my claim properly, I wouldn't be asking the government for help(HUD).

Thanks for your time, and any info is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Edited by livingrock21

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm so over the edge right now, but can't even afford treatment, even though it's all documented in my SMR that I have anxiety and severe chronic depression it's not service connected at this point.

Like I said, I really do appreciate everyones help. I'm still going over everything. I will be going to my state VSO, hopefully tomorrow. Not only to discuss this, but I think I'm going to switch my POA to them. More claims I need to file, figure out what else I need for my TDIU, hopefully they can point me to the HUD and welfare offices, and I'm going to see if there's any assistance I can get through them. You guys have been great, as always.

Due to all of this, my wife and I are on the brink of divorce. I'm having a hard enough time coping with everything else, as I'm sure she is also, but this is just adding more to the fire. It's mostly due to our situation, but our situation has added stress to an already stressed marriage. Like I said, 95% of our issues stem from the VA and the situation we're in right now.

I truely feel like crawling in a hole right now. Life truely sucks.

-edit-

Another thing I wanted to ask about..... It seems to me, and I could be wrong, but I've seen 100% VA disabled vets recieving both SSDI and SSI. How is this possible? They said I wasn't eligible for SSI and I'm only at 40% disabled(not a whole lot of comp) right now? Are the vets recieving the 100% from the VA not telling SSA that their recieving VA comp? That's the only way I can see it being possible. If I make too much from my 40% and SSDI, how is it possible their getting it?

Edited by livingrock21

Another thing I wanted to ask about..... It seems to me, and I could be wrong, but I've seen 100% VA disabled vets recieving both SSDI and SSI. How is this possible? They said I wasn't eligible for SSI and I'm only at 40% disabled(not a whole lot of comp) right now? Are the vets recieving the 100% from the VA not telling SSA that their recieving VA comp? That's the only way I can see it being possible. If I make too much from my 40% and SSDI, how is it possible their getting it?

If you know of a vet who is receiving 100 percent disability compensation and SSI something is wrong - and if that same vet is receiving 100 percent VA, SSDI and SSI something is really wrong.

This is will give you a general idea of the income and resourse limits:

Limited income * Countable income must be:

below $531 a month for single adult or child

below $796 a month for couple

(In states that pay SSI supplements, countable income can be higher; see list on back.)

Not all income counts. Some exclusions are:

$20 per month of most income

$65 per month of wages and one-half of wages over $65

food stamps

home energy/housing assistance

Limited resources *

(Property and other

assets a person owns)

$2,000 for single adult or child

$3,000 for couple (limit applies even if only one member is eligible)

Not all resources count. Some exclusions are:

the home a person lives in

a car, depending on use or value

burial plots for individual and immediate family

burial funds up to $1,500

life insurance with face value of $1,500 or less

The housing authority will use all income, which inculdes SSDI and VA, to base the percentage amount on. So if it is 30 percent in your area it will be 30 percent of your SSDI and VA payment.

I agree with rental in that damn the bills. You just need to take your ssdi and VA check and take care of your family. We do live in a country were they do not have a debtors prison so although you may dread to have to deal with the creditors all they can do is aggravate you a bit.

Good luck.

RentalGuy was straight up right in regards to bills. It is likely that your credit rating may have been shot anyway. When it comes to providing food, shelter, and care for your family, these necesscities would come first before my Macys credit card. I have been there.

LR,

Social Security has something called 'concurrent receipt' when a person

is eligible for both SSDI & SSI, but a person eventually gets only one.

SSDI is based on disability and length of time working and having enough credits for your age. My credits for age 45 was 20 I think.

SSI is not based on working or jobs in the past or credits. It's for disabled people with no income and does not depend on previous income from working.

I get SSDI with Medicare, but prefer SSI. My SSDI is $5.00 over the SSI amount.

I cannot afford to pay the copays or deductible on Medicare. If I had Medicaid

that comes with SSI, I could go to a doctor regularly. And Social Security sends

food stamps automatically to some people on SSI.

My brother gets SSI and a small VA death pension check. He also has Medicaid

and gets some food stamps. He's doing better than I am.

If I had your 40% VA comp...and having SSDI instead of SSI makes me

eligible for the extra income, I could afford to go to a doctor.

I have to go to the emergency room when there's a problem and I see

a VA doctor once a year. My VA psychologist runs interference in helping

me keep my prescriptions refilled at VA. I'm glad VA does not charge me

a copay for medications, coz I'd have to go without otherwise.

HUD pays 66% of my rent. Even if I was getting VA comp and SSDI,

I'd possibly be eligible for housing assistance depending on the number

of people living in the household and their income.

In my happy fairy world, I could pay the rent myself and hold my head

up when paying my copay at the doctor's office. HUD, FOOD STAMPS & SSI & VA Pension are all based on low income. Only VA Pension is based on wartime

military service.

It sucks living on any government program. Things could get worse.

There are women and children and men and entire families living in

motel rooms and tent cities and cars.

I'm so over the edge right now, but can't even afford treatment, even though it's all documented in my SMR that I have anxiety and severe chronic depression it's not service connected at this point.

Like I said, I really do appreciate everyones help. I'm still going over everything. I will be going to my state VSO, hopefully tomorrow. Not only to discuss this, but I think I'm going to switch my POA to them. More claims I need to file, figure out what else I need for my TDIU, hopefully they can point me to the HUD and welfare offices, and I'm going to see if there's any assistance I can get through them. You guys have been great, as always.

Due to all of this, my wife and I are on the brink of divorce. I'm having a hard enough time coping with everything else, as I'm sure she is also, but this is just adding more to the fire. It's mostly due to our situation, but our situation has added stress to an already stressed marriage. Like I said, 95% of our issues stem from the VA and the situation we're in right now.

-edit-

Edited by peacecindia

Living - if you go to VA for treatment of a non-SC'd disability they will probably assign co-payments to your account. You can work with the finance or the debt recovery department to have these co-payments waived.

Also, if there is a Vet Center near you - you are eligible for treatment there without

being SC'd and there are no co-pays at the Vet Center.

If the Vet Center determines you need medication they will put in a referral to VA for what-ever type of doc writes the type of RX you need.

The co-pay should be, I believe $8.00 for a 30 day supply.

Again, You can work with the finance or the debt recovery department to have these co-payments waived.

Here's a link to Vet Center's in PA.

http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/state.a...num=ALL&v=1

I believe you and your wife can also get some marriage counseling at the Vet Center

if either one or both of you are willing to give it a try.

Come down to Florida - I made my hole big enough for two,

it gets a bit wet being right at sea level.

Hope this helps a vet.

Hang in there brother.

carlie