Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Awkward

Rate this question

iraqx2

Question

Most of you know that I have been unemployed since November. However, I was still clicking away at job applications while my claims were sorted out. The economy stinks and the job market, especially for a disabled veterans stinks.

One of my pet peeves in this world is Veterans Preference and how, from past experience, does not help veterans land jobs or get their foot in the door. The Federal Hiring process is a big joke, full of nepotism, lies, lacks transparency, and down right dishonest.

After years and hundreds of applications to numerous federal agencies, I got a hit and landed an upcoming job interview in another state. It is for a very good position.

Anyone want to guess which agency it is....????

Yup, The Veterans Adminstration, our buddy.

I had doubts on even going and is concerned about the exposure. Based on the contact so far, I get the feeling that someone is finally using Vets Pref and applying the laws, but the hiring folks might not like that. Before I became disabled, I held a good career in the private sector. I feel awkward if they would ask about my disability. I think if that came to that question, I would have to apply the confidential medical records statue. But you know, these clowns can simply pull that up on the computer.

Any thoughts?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Iraqx2:

I can't think of a better person to land a good job at VA. Maybe it will help you later if you get the job.

Good Luck

Most of you know that I have been unemployed since November. However, I was still clicking away at job applications while my claims were sorted out. The economy stinks and the job market, especially for a disabled veterans stinks.

One of my pet peeves in this world is Veterans Preference and how, from past experience, does not help veterans land jobs or get their foot in the door. The Federal Hiring process is a big joke, full of nepotism, lies, lacks transparency, and down right dishonest.

After years and hundreds of applications to numerous federal agencies, I got a hit and landed an upcoming job interview in another state. It is for a very good position.

Anyone want to guess which agency it is....????

Yup, The Veterans Adminstration, our buddy.

I had doubts on even going and is concerned about the exposure. Based on the contact so far, I get the feeling that someone is finally using Vets Pref and applying the laws, but the hiring folks might not like that. Before I became disabled, I held a good career in the private sector. I feel awkward if they would ask about my disability. I think if that came to that question, I would have to apply the confidential medical records statue. But you know, these clowns can simply pull that up on the computer.

Any thoughts?

Iraqx2

I say go for it. I have applied for a federal job postion with the VA also. It 4 miles from my house at the National Chaplin center as a recuriter. Hey if you can't beat them join them. I know if I do not get a new job soon I will be unemployed and on IU

Jim

I don't see the problem. There are several veterans working at the VA and receiving VA disability benefits.

If I could work, I would apply with them...why not?!

I know several people, in fact, who work at the VAMC and have VA sc disabilities. I know it is a different agency, in a sense, but still...

I hope you get it...if you want it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was diabled and I got a job at the VA and then the Post Office. The USPS will hire just about any disabled vet. You won't like it but the money is pretty good and you have good benefits.

I was hired finally after 11 years of applying for Fed jobs last December, not with VA but seeing the feds being pushed to hire more disabled vets. Good thing for the agency and the vet.

Edited by Boats