VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Kind Of Advice Do You Get When Suicidal?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder
From the Vet Center Website:

"If you, or a family member, served in any combat zone and received a military campaign ribbon (Vietnam, Southwest Asia, OEF, OIF, etc.) you are eligible for Vet Center services."

However, I have received services, and I do not have a military campaign ribbon. They don't give ribbons for a lot of things...

Thanks for checking out the web site, Bonzai. Interesting sit-rep... I'll check it out. However, like I said (posted), It's been almost two decades since I have stepped into a Vet Center. I know a Korean War vet who goes there on a regular basis, now. So unless the law has been changed again, I believe that they would help any vet that walked in the door. Back in the old days, it was called the Vietnam Vet center, and catered only to Vietnam era vets. The offices were sponsored by the VAMC, however they were strategically placed in storefront locations to help what the civilians and the VA called, those "Crazy Vietnam Veterans". The idea was to reach out to the Vietnam era vets that experienced the cold shoulder of an ungrateful nation, as well as, an obsolete disfunctional VA system, and would not step foot in a VA facility. It was a different world, back then. You younger guys and gals have it a lot better, now... LOL . I would suggest LarryJ should drop in and check it out. They could use your help.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder
From the Vet Center Website:

"If you, or a family member, served in any combat zone and received a military campaign ribbon (Vietnam, Southwest Asia, OEF, OIF, etc.) you are eligible for Vet Center services."

However, I have received services, and I do not have a military campaign ribbon. They don't give ribbons for a lot of things...

Thanks for checking out the web site, Bonzai. Interesting... Your right, however if you look at the dates of service, there is only a few gaps in time. I'll give them a call on Monday and find out the deal. I just called now and no one answered the phone, not even a message.???

• HadIt.com Elder
If you really want help find a private therapist and work with him/her.

I agree with john999. A private therapist, ASAP is the way to go if you are feeling suicidal.

They also provide help to any vet who is a victim of Military Sexual Trauma.

The Vet Centers can access your VA medical/mental health records, but the VA cannot access any Vet Center records as they do not keep electronic records and those that do, do not allow the VA access.

Edited by purple

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to the Vet Center in Dallas during the early 90's. I was not service connected for anything but flat feet and I served in Viet Nam era in Germany. I was accepted and went for over a couple of years. We had group and an old Hadit Member and I were in the same group.It was the best counciling experience I have ever had

The things that made the Vet Center appealing to me is that they were Vet friendly. They did not report anything you did to VA unless you wanted them to do it. They were fiercely independent. It was a whole different atmosphere when you went there for group.

• HadIt.com Elder
I went to the Vet Center in Dallas during the early 90's. I was not service connected for anything but flat feet and I served in Viet Nam era in Germany. I was accepted and went for over a couple of years. We had group and an old Hadit Member and I were in the same group.It was the best counciling experience I have ever had

The things that made the Vet Center appealing to me is that they were Vet friendly. They did not report anything you did to VA unless you wanted them to do it. They were fiercely independent. It was a whole different atmosphere when you went there for group.

Hmmmmmm? Sounds like something I could "deal" with.

See, ya larn new thingeys daily on here!