VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Kind Of Advice Do You Get When Suicidal?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA believes that you have a concrete plan to kill yourself they have a duty to protect you from yourself. I mean to commit you on the spot. If they think you are going to kill someone immediately, or have such a plan then they have a duty to call the cops. All doctors have this responsibility.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with the thing about if you committ suicide, so will your kids. My grandfather committed suicide because he had a terminal illness....none of his children did. My uncle on the other side of the family committed suicide because his wife had just died and he was devastated...none of his children did. So I don't think it always happens and I hate it when therapists throw that in my face...I think they just try to scare ppl rather than help.

The lady I'm seeing now at the Vet Center is actually listening to me. She isn't so scared when I talk about my suicidal feelings and even plans. We talk about it, what causes it, what brings it on, etc. That really helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

........so I'm sitting in one of the "group gropes" at my local VAMC and out of the clear, blue sky, the LSW asks ME, point blank, in front of 12 other guys, if I was having thoughts of suicide. No indication from me to lead up to that question. MOF, I was being my usual quite self.

I told her, after trying to decide if I wanted to "go there" in front of all these guys, "Yes, I am."

Know what she did?

She turns to the other members of my group and says "See, even the quitest, stronger, members of this group have "private" thoughts."

And then we went on to talk about some problem one of the members was having with his teen-aged son...........................................

That was the ONLY time I was asked that question. And, it is the ONLY time I will ever answer that question.

I have thoughts of suicide. I have picked out a place. I have picked out a "method".

So what?

Screw 'em and the pony they rode in on.

I disagree with the thing about if you committ suicide, so will your kids. My grandfather committed suicide because he had a terminal illness....none of his children did. My uncle on the other side of the family committed suicide because his wife had just died and he was devastated...none of his children did. So I don't think it always happens and I hate it when therapists throw that in my face...I think they just try to scare ppl rather than help.

The lady I'm seeing now at the Vet Center is actually listening to me. She isn't so scared when I talk about my suicidal feelings and even plans. We talk about it, what causes it, what brings it on, etc. That really helps.

I am pleased that your being listened to and taken seriously!

I'm "hear, hearing" hanging in there until you find a way to stop the the sucidal idealations.

My brother-in-law, who recently shot himself, has several bloodline family members who have committed sucide too. I believe it's the genetic mental illness, and the individuals inablilty to cope with life that causes familar sucide.