Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Court Case On Bva Considering All Evidence Of Record

Rate this question

deltaj

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I just read the following case: United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit 99-7094, -7102 Christine Hix Claimant-Appellee and Mary L. Pardue Claimant-Appellee v. Hershel W. Gober Acting Secretary of Veterans Affairs Respondent-Appellant decided September 20, 2000. The final paragraph is a real zinger in that it states BVA must consider all evidence of record. I think the case is about entitlement to DIC by a widow but the issue of consideration by BVA of all evidence of record is a broad issue that pertains to veterans also in my opinion. Could someone post a link to this interesting federal circuit case? I found it by searching google under 38 USC 1318.

Edited by deltaj

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Quint-it does seem that VARO Buffalo is approving more claims these days-

but the award letter they sent me last month is all wrong and it went back to the appeals team.

I emailed them what it should have stated.I waited for over 6 years to see that the VA recognized that undiagnosed and untreated Agent Orange DMII is what caused my husband's death (which trumps the past FTCA and 1151 awards I got-2 distinct and separate matters)

and the award granted me direct SC death but never mentioned Nehmer or Agent Orange or hericides.

The letter actually states they have continued the award under 1151 as the "greater" benefit when the BVA award itself states clearly that they have to pay me ancillary benefits,and send me the FTCA offset due to direct SC death and direct SC DIC.BVA clearly awarded under the AO regulations.

But VARO ignored what the BVA award said and conveniently forgot the auspices of Nehmer, allowing me ALL accrued benefits that were due the veteran in his lifetime.

They are awarding but manipulating awards these days hoping we do not realise they are withholding our money.

My daughter suggested I post this award on the net to help other AO vets as it indicates that VA will SC any Vietnam vet with heart disease.

But the reality is that wont work- VA only SCs CAD related to DMII due to AO.

The BVA award made that clear but VARO Buffalo conveniently 'forgot' to add that critical part of the award-

I cannot apply for nor receive additional Chap 35,refund of 6,000 Chap 35 tuition expense, additional burial expense refund, REPS benefits- 17,000 there alone ,posthumous accrued benefits due the veteran to include SMC,the FTCA 5 figure offset amount, nor the VA Home Loan Guaranty until they properly prepare this award letter.

All of this above adds up to tune of 92-92,000 or more-so it was quite advantageous for VA to send me this erroneous award letter-to stave off paying the money.

These things are not isolated clerical errors- these are deliberate ways for VA to make awards on paper, to show they have an EP code to finalize a claim-

yet keep those financial coffers padded with our money-hoping we will buy what they are selling when they send out ludicrous award letters like what I got.

I asked them to CUE themselves as the award letter is in absolute defiance of all established VA case law and regs and overlooked the Nehmer decision and the fact that I am a Class Action Nehmer widow.

I wonder how many millions the VA saves when they do this stuff.

I know they withheld almost 30 million in the 1990s this way -from AO vets and widows in defiance of the Nehmer Court Order.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hum, This is a very interesting thread. I have had some issues with the Va on looking at all the evidence in my case. At first they would not budge, but I kept badgering and badgering and over loading them with evidence. When I received their SOC I was happy that all my evidence WAS included. Maybe that was lady luck again. I have a feeling I am going to learn alot by reading all these threads. All these posts on this huge site sure explains to me that what I am running into is just typical. And I thought it was all me!

• HadIt.com Elder

I think Berta is showing us why we need expert help with CUE's. She is a self-taught expert, but she can't help us with the infinite details of our potential CUE's at the RO or BVA. One word that seems like you are asking the VA for a judgement call to weigh evidence and your CUE will just die. That is an easy mistake to make if I understand these CUE's in a humble way.

I thought that I would post, word for word, the decision from 1995 for my knee. it is only a couple of paragraphs. I am adding the bold type, not the VA.

In the paragraph above the knee rating is this statement about a shoulder claim I filed upon discharge.

"The veteran was scheduled for a VAE. The veteran failed to report for the scheduled VA Examination. The exam request was returned as "undeliverable". it is the veterans responsibility to keep the VA aware of his current mailing address. No request to reschedule the examination was received. In the absense of such a request, or an indication that the veteran is willing to report for an examination, the claim is considered based on the evidence of record.

On to the knee.

The veteran was seen on 10-89 with a complaint of right knee pain when running, marching and standing. The veteran was diagnosed with a medial meniscus tear. SMR's show on 2-90, the veteran complained of pain to the right knee. The veteran was seen on multiple occasions with the complaint of right knee pain.

Records dated 4-90 show the veteran was treated for right knee patella femoral pain. SMR's dated 10-93 show the veteran was treated for complaint of exacerbation of an old knee injury while playing basketball. During treatment the veteran stated that "the knee is really no problem". The veteran did not report to the scheduled VAE.

Service connection is granted for right knee condition as the evidence shows onset of the condition(s) during military service. Disabilities of the musculoskeletal system result in anotomical damage, functional loss and evidence of disuse, and/or abnormal excursion of movement. In determining evaluations for disabilites involving the knee, consideration is given to objective evidence of limitation of flexion and extension, subluxation, lateral instability, painful motion, weakness and radiological findings demonstrating joint abnormality. Clinical evaluation of the knee shows normal motion, no evidence of pain or crepitance on movement no joint deformity, no swelling, no atrophy, no instability, and no circulatory disturbances. there are no findings of impairment of the knee which meet the requirements for a compensionable evaluation. Accordingly, a noncompensable evaluation is assigned.

The next issue was my lower back (which has since been diagnosed/ treated as IVDS/DDD and on appeal granted SC).

The decision states as one of the reasons for denial of SC as;

SMR's dated 10-93 shows the veteran was treated for low back strain after playing basketball. Theveteran described a twisting injury. The diagnoosis was lumbar strain. Separation exam is silent for complaint of back pain.

So...... the way I read that decision is:

1) A claim MUST be considered based on the evidence at hand if the vet fails to show for a C&P. (they had my SMR's).

2) VA states that "clinical evaluation" showed no problems with my knee at all (they pretty much covered any issue other than amputation in that statement).

3) Separation exams MUST weigh heavily on claims immediately post service as it is used as a reason to deny any back problems.

So, for issue 1, they didn't look at my SMR's or they would see that in March 1994 I was seen again for the knee and diagnosed with patella femoral syndrome with pain, swelling, tenderness and crepitis. For issue 2, I never had a clinical evaluation by VA as they state that I "failed to show for a VAE", so are they using my military exams? Because all of those show the symptoms I listed above. Finally for issue 3, my separation exam (done on April 4, 1994 which was 4 months before my discharge) states that i have right knee patella femoral syndrome, a right knee AC sprain and my statement that "Iam in good health other than pain in the right knee and both shoulders, chronic athletes foot, scars and hay fever". I also checked the following boxes yes under "do you have?"; swollen or painfull joints, cramps in the legs, trick or locked knee, and I checked "maybe" for bone or other joint deformity. The examiner also handwrote "chronic shoulder and knee pain, evaluated by ortho and told "nothing can be done".

So my point (that was a LOT longer than I planned, sorry) is that a layman could read these records and come to at least a 10% rating, but if I remember a few posts Rentalguy or someone put up, patella femoral syndrome is a automatic 20% rating.

The rater used the excuse of failure to show as a decision and then did a quick flip though my record to list some evidence to at least give SC.

So CUE or not, I'm gonna take this on. $13000 isn't gonna break VA but it will sure as hell be nice to have.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA slam/dunked you because they say you did not show up for your C&P exam. If you don't go for the exam you almost always lose.

Yep. BUT, I had just been discharged and they made no attempt to "track me down" to find out why I didn't show. They also didn't contact my former unit, my next of kin or the other VA dept.'s (Education and Medical) to see if they had another address or anything for me. I was also listed in the local phone book.

But as i said, none of that matters because me SMR's show that my condition was obviously ratable at more than 0%. That failure to show scam is just that, a scam.

Hyson v Brown (while saying that this case is specific to Hyson's claim only) said:

"Generally, it is the burden of the veteran to keep the VA apprised of his or her whereabouts. It is only where a file disclosed other possible and plausible addresses that an attempt should be made to locate him at the alternate known address before finding abandonment of a previously adjudicated benefit."

And

"M21-1, Part IV, para 25.05a, NOTE 3, gives instructions for determining whether a better address is of record when notification of an examination appointment is returned as undeliverable. M21-1, Part IV, para 9.04 deals with a claimant's refusal or failure to provide a current address in a predetermination situation. Para 9.11 covers notification to the beneficiary of the final decision. Perhaps these latter paragraphs should address the issue of undeliverable mail.

It is also noted that, through the Patient Inquiry command in the AMIE System, regional offices can access local VAMC hospital records for addresses. Although this is not a nationwide capability, it does offer another avenue for trying to locate a veteran. The cited manual paragraphs do not reference the AMIE System."

(This is a 1993 decision, I was discharged in 1994 and my claim "rated" in early 1995).

Again, I'm not a lawyer and that case is that case, but I asked on here I think or in person what the VA is supposed to do at a minimum if any notice is returned as undeliverable and was told that they are supposed to at least check with other dept.'s of the VA. I also believe that i had read that when a vet's claim is immediately after discharge that VA is to contact the vet's last known unit for any info about a change of address. Also, my paperwork listed my parents address back in NY as my "home of record" and no attempt was made to contact them about m failure to appear.

Like I said though, my SMR's had sufficient info to rate me higher than 0% no matter what, which goes back to the original topic of this thread that VA MUST consider ALL evidence.

(Sorry if it looked like I was hijacking the thread everyone!)