VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cane Pain

Rate this question

rlgrabar

Question

I rec. 30% disability for Venous insuffeciency on my left leg and I use a cane. Now I am having problems on my right side that I am favoring, from using the cane on my left side. Can I claim these problems?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I rec. 30% disability for Venous insuffeciency on my left leg and I use a cane. Now I am having problems on my right side that I am favoring, from using the cane on my left side. Can I claim these problems?

I think you possibly could.The key would be to get a diagnosis as to what the medical cause is of the right side pain(muscular,skeletal,etc.?) and getting the Doctor to link the right side to accomadating for the left(an opinion letter) which shows a nexus(connection) between the two.

• HadIt.com Elder

When the VA issued the cane did PT instruct you as to how to use it?? At times, when I need a cane, for problems w/my left knee, I use the cane on my right side, rather than on the left side, as one would think should be done. It makes a difference.

pr

When the VA issued the cane did PT instruct you as to how to use it?? At times, when I need a cane, for problems w/my left knee, I use the cane on my right side, rather than on the left side, as one would think should be done. It makes a difference.

pr

phillip makes a good point here. Normally a cane is use on the opposite side of the injury.

pr

This is exactly how the VA PT people instructed me on cane use.

The whole idea is to eliminate any gait problems introduced by favoring the non-injured side.