VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Did The Dav Send A False Letter Of Award?

Rate this question

4myboys

Question

So 7 weeks ago the DAV sent me an "unofficial" letter stating that I had my disability increased and that I would be receiving retro payment back over 10 years. Of coarse I get excited...even though I know that it is "unofficial" but was told I would receive official in about two weeks at the most followed by payment.

Not only have I not received a single statement of what is going on from the VA, when I call my useless VSO all he says is that I am still at the rater. Now my DAV rep said I was already at finance. IRIS inquiry offered nothing.

The DAV should NOT be sending out unofficial letters until the VA has completed the rating and it has been made official!

This has drained me mentally even physically! I am so frustrated and this process is torture.

To top it off I received a letter from Debt Management for some erroneous debt that has incurred due to my change in C&P. They stated that I have received and overpayment and they will begin recouping it Sep 09. There is no debt, I haven't ever been overpaid or received anything not entitled to.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE VA ?????????? It is as though they have so many chain of commands, departments, processes, procedures, YET they manage to lack COMMUNICATION between them!

I currently work because I have to financially support my family. This retro pay allows me to only work part time rather than full time and will help take care of my disabilities. Currently I work in severe pain and don't take my pain meds because it will keep me from being coherent and fulfilling my job requirements. In return I am in severe pain and end up having poor job performance because of it...Anyway my point is, is that this claim changes everything for me if I have indeed been awarded retro pay and an increase in disability.

I have HADIT.....sorry had to throw that out there!

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Did they say in the letter how much the overpayment was? If they didn't you should get a separate letter letting you know this. Until then I wouldn't stress over it. Also, if it's Voc Rehab I wouldn't think they would pull your c-file. Even if it isn't Voc Rehab it may be a clerical error and they probably wouldn't have to pull your file for that either. I hope you hear something soon and get clarification of what's going on. The NOT KNOWING part is what tears us up the most I think.

Billy

Uh oh....it's until then...the amount was in the original letter from Debt Managment for $12.639.00. That is no chump change.

I was thinking (I try not to do too much of that) Voc Rehab was ALWAYS late paying the school. When I tried to get my diploma and transcripts the College wouldn't give them to me until my account was paid off. I'm thinking Voc Rehab/VA had to pay out a large sum that may have caused a red flag all these years later. MAYBE someone inputted into the system that the monies due the school went to ME (which obviously didn't) I can't remember the total amount due the school but maybe just maybe that's what this is all about!

Hmmm?!?!?!

The easiest way to deal with them if you do not know what is going on is to follow this:

I don’t understand how I was overpaid. Can you send me an audit of my account? top

You can call our toll-free number 1 800 827-0648, and explain to the operator that you would like an audit of your overpayment. The audit will also include your repayment options.

The easiest way to deal with them if you do not know what is going on is to follow this:

I don't understand how I was overpaid. Can you send me an audit of my account? top

You can call our toll-free number 1 800 827-0648, and explain to the operator that you would like an audit of your overpayment. The audit will also include your repayment options.

I should be receiving my decision letter any day (lol) from a claim I put in 8 months ago. It's at the rater for the second or third time.

Would requesting a financial audit delay my c&p claim; or, should I request an audit so that they don't touch the retro pay I should be getting (which by the way is back to 1998)? Can they even do that if I appeal the Debt letter, NOD it, send in a waiver, etc?

When I spoke to Debt Management, which is the number above (I think) they said I would have to call my local VARO to request a financial audit. When I called my local VARO they said it is from Buffalo...call them?

I tell you what I am so tired of being bounced from one number/person to the next!

I really appreciate all the great advice I'm getting in just a couple of days! Keep it coming <_< .

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds like an error from one department to another. Course they will never admit it

Go to the Service Officer or your VARO and sit in front of them and have them check it out on the computer.

VA Educational Department might be able to help you via sending an email to BUFFRPO@vba.va.gov

I dealt with them here at Buffalo for 4 years under Chapter 35 via this email addy and for the most part things went smoothly.

Of course they made some errors on my educational benefits-but they straightened out this very quickly.

They certainly should be able to tell you more info as to this overpayment statement.

Any overpayment statement VA makes has appellate rights which often stave off their attempts to collect an overpayment.Whether VA is wrong or not-watch out for any deadlines in the letter for a response and NOD from you.

It could certainly be a clerical error.

I need to contact VA Edu today myself at this addy-

they owe me some cash- if I get any other email addys through that contact -that might help you-I will post them here.