VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Px (aafes) And Commissary Privileges

airborne,

Congress is debating to approve full PX and Commissary privileges to all disabled service connected veterans, as of current this is only possible if they have a MWR ID card allowing them access to the PX and Commissary. I am not sure if they (Congress) would go as far as issuing all disabled service connected veterans ID cards but it is very possible. Unless they approve veterans to use their VA ID cards I don't see any other way to give them access. I was on post the other day and I had to get gas, I was asked by the gas clerk to show my ID card. On some bases you must have a valid military ID card to purchase anything. I live in a military town and I can use my military ID card for other discounts like: renting a car, Lowe's, auto zone, restaurants, I even used my ID card to get a huge discount for Microsoft office. The ID card can be used for different things because most people/places don't know the difference or just accept the fact that you do have a military ID card and give you the discount. A veteran with a military (MWR) ID card can get an AAFES credit card (used to be DPP but may be military star now but not sure) and if their account goes delinquent that is where the problem can begin

I just got my military ID back. I thought they tried years ago to get Priveleges for all disabled vets. I didn't realize it was an ongoing effort.

I would love to see the Veterans organizations push all the major retailers to offer permanent discounts to all disabled vets, using the VA card.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

airborne,

your are correct, Congress did try to pass this years ago but for some reason it did not pass. Now they are trying to do it again. I have no problem with it, I just wanted to pass this info on to warn veterans that it could lead to problems. All business don't give military discounts like; Wall Mart or Sam's. The main thing is once you have a military (MWR) ID card you can always ask the business do they offer a military discount and if they say yes then you know.

purple,

That is very true but we are still living in hard times. We never know what happens tomorrow good intentions don't pay your bills. A veteran can get a AAFES credit card with the intentions to pay on time but circumstances could allow them to go delinquent and create a problem. Other credit card agencies normally work with the card holder and stops interest after the statutes of limitation expires but AAFES will not. Now I know why they are a billion dollar company. They have collected millions from active duty members and veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

The Military star card is an actual credit card issued by a bank. It is like any other credit card. I know things happen but with the secure income from the military a person needs to pay their bills. If a person becomes disabled for any reason, the card has insurance ( Separate fee of course) to help.

Commissary and exchange privleges are currently a benefit for 100 percent Disabled Vets as well as active and retired military.

I dont see the criteria changing any time soon.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I live just a few miles from McDill AFB. I wish I could use their medical facility instead of having to take an hour to get to the VA hospital including the shuttle ride because their is no parking. I see active military at the VAMC, but we can't use the base for routine stuff. I see that as unfair. I asked about the VA opening a clinic in South Tampa but was told to mind my own business via my congressman. The VA has everything well in hand, and I don't see the big picture. Those arrogant bastards.