Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Screwed By The Office Of Medical Inspector

Rate this question

purple

Question

Yup...just got off the phone with my POC at the VA Office of Medical Inspector whom I've been speaking with for quite some time about my cardiology issues. She was certain that she could get me fee-based out on a permanent basis for cardiac care based on what the VA had done (or not done) to me.

Not so.

She said that my records were reviewed by a VA cardiologist and it was determined that the VA had done nothing wrong (well of course!) and that my request is denied. She sounded quite shocked as well.

We spoke about my upcoming cardiology appt with my civilian doc and how to handle that.

We also spoke about my Gyn issues or whatever is causing all of this pain.

Soooo, now I'm dependent on the Dayton VAMC cardiologists....the ones who told me that I only had "heartburn & indigestion" and that "women's chest pain was only due to stress" for f/u care with my pacemaker. And I'm supposed to trust these f**king idiots?????

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, you can get Medicare part B, but you probably have to pay the penalty that Pete is talking about. I would pay it to have a fall back position from the VA. I mean the VA can turn around and deny you care and then you have to fight them all the way. Another thing is if you need surgery you don't get to choose your doctor at the VA. It is a big HMO of the worst kind. You need a heart operation and a resisdent does it while the real MD phones in instructions from the beach in Mexico.

Purple...

I have received medical treatment from VA medical Center since 2002. About 2 years ago I had chest pains and Dayton VA was full, so I was sent to the Dayton Heart Hospital. At Dayton heart, I was diagnosed with an enlarged right side of my heart..due to sleep apnea..in one day. Dayton Heart made a diagnosis which saved my life...untreated sleep apnea had caused my heart to make up for this lack of oxygen by enlarging. If still untreated, my heart would continue to enlarge until I went into defib, and congestive heart failure.

Dayton VA could not make this diagnosis in 7 years, Dayton heart correctly diagnosed my problem in one day.

There is an enormous difference between the level of care at the VA vs Dayton Heart (a private hospital).

To be fair to the VA, I had never seen a cardioligist at Dayton VA, so it is not too suprising that my heart problem went undiagnosed/untreated.

It is certainly possible, or even likely, that a VA cardiologist could also have made this diagnosis..but I was never referred to one. The VA is "rationing" health care. Its a very good example of why universal health care is a very bad idea, as there would be rationing of health care universally, instead of just at the VA. In other words, unless you have some obvious cardiac symptoms, you wont be referred to a cardioligist, and then, it could be too late.

There are several screening exams that can detect heart problems early, but, as far as I know those screening tests are not offered to Veterans WITHOUT a referral by your primary care doc.

My advice: Dayton Heart and other private hospitals often offer free screening. I recommend you go to a health fair, and get bloodwork, blood pressure tests, get tested for glucose (possible diabetes), and heart screening. Get the works.

Edited by broncovet

Purple,

I just recently (last week) received a welcoming letter from Medicare The phone numbers are MyMedicare.gov 1-877-607-9663, Medicare General Questions 1-800-633-4227 and Coordination of Benefits 1-800-318-8782. My premium for Medicare part b is $96.40 (will be deducted from SS), according to handbook this is the standard premium, for incomes under $85,000.00.

Lenora

Smilen

• HadIt.com Elder

It does not follow that because the VA sucks that universal health care is a bad idea. Medicare is universal health care for those over 65. If everyone had medicare how would that be bad? It might cost money in tax dollars, but that money gets spent anyway on Aircraft Carriers and wars we don't need to fight. If you are going to slam universal health care every chance you get then some of us are going to oppose that view. Every other civilized nation in the world has some sort of universal health care. We have a bunch of insurance companies that tell doctors what they can do and what then can't do. Is your opposition to universal care based on ideology that whatever is from the government is bad and whatever is for profit is good? Just try taking medicare away from seniors and see the reaction you get.

I dont' want this thread to turn into a debate over UHC. That was done on another thread.

Bronco-

Yes, I will keep an eye out for all of the free screenings and take advantage of them. I've been to the Dayton Heart Hospital as a patient a few times, it is a very good place and they have great docs there! Glad you got a quick dx there.

Rentalguy-

I do plan on an appeal once I get the denial in writing. Just need to figure out who is above that office. They are on the same level as the VAOIG. But I know I will find someone. Everyone has a boss.