Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medicare

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

Husband was awarded SS disability with onset date of Feb. 7, 2007, we finally get the Medicare card and package in the mail with the begin date of August 1. 2009

Question: Shouldn't this be March or April 1, 2009 and if so can we do anything about this now.

The reason I ask is because he is suppose to have surgery (remove part of lung for lumg cancer) July 28, 2009 and Medicare kicks in August 1

Planning to call tomorrow but hoping someone comes along with advice

thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Husband was awarded SS disability with onset date of Feb. 7, 2007, we finally get the Medicare card and package in the mail with the begin date of August 1. 2009

Question: Shouldn't this be March or April 1, 2009 and if so can we do anything about this now.

The reason I ask is because he is suppose to have surgery (remove part of lung for lumg cancer) July 28, 2009 and Medicare kicks in August 1

Planning to call tomorrow but hoping someone comes along with advice

thanks,

sbrewer

I believe medicare starts 24 month waiting period plus 5 months totaling 29. The medicare should start on the first day of the month that follows the 29th month.

I became disabled on 06/16/2000. 29 months from that date would be 11/16/2002, so my medicare started on the first day of the following month, 12/01/2002.

Hope this helps and your husband will be in my prayers.

Blackbird

Medicare passed a new law a couple of years ago and if you get SSD you have to wait 26 or 27 mths from the date you get it to receive medicare coverage, and they made my husband's start on the 28th month