VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Resources

Rate this question

sgmdae

Question

First of all my VSO guided me in the correct direction, that was excellent

Now on my last visit, he was very unorgainized and didn't help with the complete packet that VA needed

My question, is it best to use the VSO as a stepping stone, does it reflect on the claim, rating and success

This is my claim should I take ownership, and submit on my own.

He seems to be quick, to stuff what I have in envelope, instead of reading and recommending a good direction to go

For example, he checked no other information is provide, when I have tons coming in and wanted me to sent it that way

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
First of all my VSO guided me in the correct direction, that was excellent

Now on my last visit, he was very unorgainized and didn't help with the complete packet that VA needed

My question, is it best to use the VSO as a stepping stone, does it reflect on the claim, rating and success

This is my claim should I take ownership, and submit on my own.

He seems to be quick, to stuff what I have in envelope, instead of reading and recommending a good direction to go

For example, he checked no other information is provide, when I have tons coming in and wanted me to sent it that way

Many here and at other sites have recommended that a VSO can be useful but ultimately you are responsible for your claim. Whether you use a VSO or not doesn't really affect the claim itself except in their expertise in helping you. Outcome of a claim depends on the proofs submitted.

If you don't feel your VSO is providing enough expertise, I would suggest you do most of the work yourself and if you want someone else to liaison with VA have the VSO for that.

Depending on how much work you are able to do yourself has a lot to do with your choices.

Take a look at my website. It is a FREE guide on researching, organizing and assembling a va claim. It might help you make a decision.

http://www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com/index.html

Thank you for protecting me and mine. I wish you well.

fanaticbooks

Edited by fanaticbooks

This is your claim. Take ownership. You are the pilot. The VSO is the co-pilot. Keep him informed in case you happen to need him on the journey.

Thank you both

Do they inform you when they get your medical records

I really need to see them, to see what they have, and what is missing

• HadIt.com Elder
Thank you both

Do they inform you when they get your medical records

I really need to see them, to see what they have, and what is missing

No, they do not inform you (VSO or VA).

In order to see your records, you can request a copy of your C-File from the VA Regional OFfice. Mention the "Freedom of Information Act" in your letter as well as put FOIA on the lower left of the envelope. Wait until you know they have info, though. Many times it is a long wait.

You can do like we did. I wrote a report listing all the problems and proofs and attached any not submitted previously. However, if you already sent them records, then just make note of previously submitted records. My website mentions about this.

If there are duplicates, the VA is supposed to return them to you. Don't know if it happens, but they are supposed to do so.

Then settle in to wait for any possible C&P exams.

fanaticbooks

I hav e been through the SSDI and Veterans disability claim processes and can definitely say get a VSO! They know everything like alawyer (at least they should) and also provide support, and are great people.. It's not a traffic ticket your are fighting... it's your future! There is no way in hell you can figure out what to do and how to do it... the pro's have a full time job learning the routine and work hard for you. Like having a dream team and getting O.J. off... (as sicking and sad, and BS as that was), it's a comparison for having pro help and getting the desired result..

When my dad applied, he didn't go through all this when he was disabled and applied for VA disability... he just applied, they looked at him one time and gave him 100%, he didn't have to get help..

and, I am way sickers than he was and I had a VSO and the first time I only got 50%, am still going for 100%. I have been sick in bed for 20 years and worked sick for many years sick before I collapsed.. now you have to fight for what they used to give without a huge fight..

• HadIt.com Elder

The VSO does not keep copies of information submitted to VA. Many Veterans mistakenly believe that they do. Most VSO's do not follow up. Call back if you call them or generally do more than superficially help a Veteran with their claim. They also are guilty of playing high handed and thinking that they know everything needed when in fact they are poorly trained.