Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Resources

Rate this question

sgmdae

Question

First of all my VSO guided me in the correct direction, that was excellent

Now on my last visit, he was very unorgainized and didn't help with the complete packet that VA needed

My question, is it best to use the VSO as a stepping stone, does it reflect on the claim, rating and success

This is my claim should I take ownership, and submit on my own.

He seems to be quick, to stuff what I have in envelope, instead of reading and recommending a good direction to go

For example, he checked no other information is provide, when I have tons coming in and wanted me to sent it that way

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I agree with fanaticbooks but recognize that Veterans are a quite diverse lot, and what works for people like Berta may not work at all for all Vets. Berta is great at using her computer, fantastic at research, probably well organized, and certainly determined and experienced with VA regulations. I also applaud her, as her great knowledge on VA benefits has helped many, many Veterans, including my self.

However, Many Veterans dont even know how to use a computer, and some dont even read all that well, and it is highly impractical, if not almost impossible, for them to research CF38 and hadit to file their own claims. Thousands of these Vets are homeless and live under a bridge. VA has its own language, like computers, and I was more than a little bit overwhelmed with it when I first applied. I did not know the difference between a NOD or a VARO. I relied upon my VSO, and, even tho their service has a lot to be desired, their VA knowledge was infinately more than my own when I first applied. I didnt even know the address of my VARO, or even what it was. Thanks to stumbling on hadit, I was able to learn, and, even supply some advice that has probably helped other Veterans, tho I certainly dont claim to know it all, but I am a graduate of VA's H &K University (college of hard knocks). They should have a 4 year college degree entitiled "How to win your VA claim", and Berta should probably be the teacher. In the past 4 years or so, I have studied the VA claims process and I would suggest that I probably have the equivilant of a Bachelor of Science in VA claims degree. (Berta probably has a PHd in VA claims).

If, like Berta, you are capable of filing and appealing your own claims, then by all means do so. However, if you know a Veteran who's computer skills are lacking/non existant, then he or she is much better off going with a VSO, even if it is an overworked one, at least with the initial claim. JMHO

Edited by broncovet

My experience has been mixed. The VSO that first assisted me did her job and was an advocate. She left and the person who took over the claim has not been that helpful. He is very over-worked as my state (and I suspect most states) have cut way back on social services and in an office that had three reps he now works alone with the receptionist. He is more of an advocate for the VA than for me, constantly telling me to treat them nicely (I don't need his etiquette advice), etc.

So I guess I have opted to leave my VSO out of the loop and, for now, go it alone. If my DRO process is not satisfactory, I'll probably get a lawyer before going to the BVA.

From the responses to this item, I think we can see that there is a lot of variation from place to place and person to person, and that will most likely continue to be the case.

Ultimately it is your claim and you are the person that needs to be sure that it is done properly. There is a lot of information available on the web. Jim Stickland's Knol is excellent: http://knol.google.com/k/jim-strickland/a-...zs/2?locale=en#

The self-help guide available at the hadit.com site is very good also.

38 CFR (Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations) is the law that governs. It is worth reading it. Get a plan together and post it here and get reaction to it. Stick with the facts and not the attitudes because, no matter how justified the attitudes, they don't get you far. It will be the facts, the language, the preparation and presentation of your claim that will matter.

jsdwd,

You mentioned that you are in Calif and your VSO lady left and that the person who took over her claims has not been very helpful. I have a similar problem that my VSO lady left and she was very noligible. The person who took over for her is very new at VA claims and I'm not sure if I am feeling comfortable with dealing with him.

My claim is at the BVA in Washington for almost 8 months. Total period for my claim is almost 3 years. I am not sure what to do or how to proceed at this point. I am learning a lot on VA claims by reading the posts on Hadit.

Is it possible to transfer my claim to another county near by or are they going to be overwhelmed also?

Thanks in advance for any help. Brian

My experience has been mixed. The VSO that first assisted me did her job and was an advocate. She left and the person who took over the claim has not been that helpful. He is very over-worked as my state (and I suspect most states) have cut way back on social services and in an office that had three reps he now works alone with the receptionist. He is more of an advocate for the VA than for me, constantly telling me to treat them nicely (I don't need his etiquette advice), etc.

So I guess I have opted to leave my VSO out of the loop and, for now, go it alone. If my DRO process is not satisfactory, I'll probably get a lawyer before going to the BVA.

From the responses to this item, I think we can see that there is a lot of variation from place to place and person to person, and that will most likely continue to be the case.

Ultimately it is your claim and you are the person that needs to be sure that it is done properly. There is a lot of information available on the web. Jim Stickland's Knol is excellent: http://knol.google.com/k/jim-strickland/a-...zs/2?locale=en#

The self-help guide available at the hadit.com site is very good also.

38 CFR (Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations) is the law that governs. It is worth reading it. Get a plan together and post it here and get reaction to it. Stick with the facts and not the attitudes because, no matter how justified the attitudes, they don't get you far. It will be the facts, the language, the preparation and presentation of your claim that will matter.

• In Memoriam

My experience is that on the first visit or contact to a VSO some things happen. VSO's act like they are your best buddy, on the first visit.

1. They through out the welcome mat for you.
  2. Tell you that a new set of eyes is on your claims now.
  3. Give you several interesting comments of how your claims have merit.
  4. Empathize with situations that you may be in or have been in.

The second and later visits or calls could be a totally different experience.

You ask if it's possible to try to sign on with a VSO from another county.

I don't know the answer to your question. Perhaps someone else does or you could call the state department of veterans affairs and ask them.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I don't want to steer you wrong.

The border of my county in Ohio is bordered by both West Virginia and Pennsylvania. The County Veterans Service Officer in our county will service any other county in our state as well as the two border states. It is not the state or county----it is the DD-214 they look at. Naturally, the CVSO would probably prefer you seek assistance from your home state or county CVSO---As most carry quite a heavy caseload because of the VARO 2-year (and growing) backlog.