Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psych Doc

Rate this question

babyray

Question

:D I need a psych doc to give me an IMO for major depression disoder. Could anybody give me some names & numbers? Thx. Chow!!!!

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

BR, ~ IMO ~

Regarding your IMO - you stated "My private doc says I had MDD w/ a GAF score of 53; With my meds helping very little."

Is this information in your c-file?

Is your private doc an regular family practice type doctor, a psychologist, or a psychiatrist? How detailed was his statement or did you just send in treatment reports?

Have you found a good IMO shrink yet? Look up social security lawyers and call the ones with the biggest ads in the yellow pages. They can give you referrals to shrinks who write IMO reports.

Also, are you using a VSO? If so, he should be able to give you a referral as well.

If you would make two replies, one to my questions regarding writing your appeal, and one to this post about your IMO search, that would make it easier for me to tract what all we're dealing with here.

Thanks,

TS

I am seeing a private psychiatrist & psychologist ( whom I am taking psychotherapy ) in which I had a GAF score of 45 but not 53, which 53 is a error on my part. Currently I am seeing a VAMC psychiatrist to get my meds thru the clinic, I dont' like him so I going back to my private docs.

The statements from the private docs were extremely detail and should be in my c-file. Do you want my phone number so that we can talk one on one, which you can me collect if necessary. I am looking for a IMO doc today. Thx Chow!!!

babyray, an IMO takes time. I just hope you know that since it seems like your in a big rush for this.

They will need to review your medical records in order to do this.

frank

I am seeing a private psychiatrist & psychologist ( whom I am taking psychotherapy ) in which I had a GAF score of 45 but not 53, which 53 is a error on my part. Currently I am seeing a VAMC psychiatrist to get my meds thru the clinic, I dont' like him so I going back to my private docs.

The statements from the private docs were extremely detail and should be in my c-file. Do you want my phone number so that we can talk one on one, which you can me collect if necessary. I am looking for a IMO doc today. Thx Chow!!!

BR,

You're saying the VSO submitted a request for reconsideration

and pointed out what VBA did NOT go by.

I'm fairly confident that a request for reconsideration needs some new

evidence with it submitted with it or at the least a ROI form for

VA to try and gather additional medical evidence to be considered in your claim.

I suggest you re-view the EVIDENCE SECTION of your rating decision

to see what is listed (and/or not listed) that they used to promulgate

this decision at 10%.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

BR,

I see the mention of C&UE has been added to this thread.

I personally do not see a C&UE at this point as there has been

no final rating decision.

In either a request for reconsideration or a NOD, you can always

present your argument for a higher percentage and request the VBA to

call a C&UE on the prior decision.

To just say it's a C&UE because VBA did not adhere strictly to

38 CFR Part 4 - is wayyyyyyyyyyy to vague.

Just because a poor decision might have been made, it certainly

doesn't rise to the level of a C&UE claim from you and I feel

at this time it would be denied.

My personal opinion would be in disagreement with your VSO

as far as filing a request for reconsideration.

I would file a NOD on the percentage and submit some more

medical evidence that substantiates your level of PTSD symptoms

and the effect it has on your daily life,by getting

an IMO (Independent Medical Opinion) from an IME (Independent Medical Expert/Examination).

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

BR, ~ Apeal ~

Look at your Decision again - there should be at least another sentence after they list the rating criteria for 30% that states "We cannot grant a higher evaluation at this time because this condition does not ................" it is here, in this last sentence of the paragraph telling you what the sx are for the next higher rating that they are supposed to give the reasons and basis for NOT granting you a higher rating. This reason(s) is what you have to attack, either by evidence or court cases.

What is the sentence following ".....such as forgetting names, directions, recent events."?? They should say in there why they are NOT rating you 30%.

Also, back up a bit in the Decision and tell me what they wrote in the two paragraphs above this one. One should start out something along the lines of "We have assigned a 10% rating .... and then they list the rating criteria for 10%". But the paragraph before that one should list the sx that they used to evaulate you at 10%.

To effectively write your appeal you need to know what evidence they are hanging the 10% on (my guess is the meds) and what reason they are denying you 30%.

Let me know and we'll continue to march on your appeal.

TS

TS, there is not any sentence following".....such as forgetting names, directions, recent events." I will put down everything that's on the raing decision for MDD:

2. Service connection for major depression disorder as secondary to the service-connected disabilities of early degenerative joint disease of the left knee and calcified left quadriceps muscle.

Service connection for major depression disorder has been established as related to the service-connected disabilities of early degenerative joint disease of the left knee and a calcified left quadriceps muscle. The facts listed in issues #1 and #3 are hereby incorporated by reference.

Your recent VA examination notes you report depressed mood, low motivation, insomnia, low energy, decreased ability to concentrate, excessive worry and anxiety, low self esteem, hopelessness, anhedonia, difficulty falling and staying asleep, and passive suicidal ideations. You report panic attacks once a week, associated with shortness of breath and rapid heart rate, precipitated by crossing over bridges , or being in elevators and planes. You report having few relationships due to your limited physical and mental capacity. You currently received outpatient psychiatric and psychological therapy, as well as take oral medication to help control your symptoms.

Interview reveals you are oriented to all spheres, with constricted affect and a depressed mood. You are unable to perform serial 7's or spell a word forward and backward. Your thought processes and content are unremarkable. Your remote memory is within normal limits, your recent memory is mildly impaired, and your immediate memory is moderately impaired. You deny any history of delusions, hallucinations or homicidal ideations. The examiner diagnosed you with single, moderate, major depressive disorder due to your service connected early degenerative joint disease of the left knee and calcified left quadrieps muscle. His rationale being, you had an excellent work record and academic record but have coped with chronic pain and further orthopedic distintegration and began to feel useless, and loss sense of your role in the world, unable to do much for pleasure or others, and developed a long standing depression beginning after a number of years of struggle. He assigned you a Global Assessment of Functioning score of 53, and noted that you are mentally capable of handling your own finances.

An evaluation of 10 percent is assigned from December 27, 2007. An evaluation of 10 percent is granted whenever there is occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress; or symptoms controlled by continuous medication.

A higher evaluation of 30 percent is not warranted unless there is occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although genrally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events).

This is the whole thing that's on my rating decision for major depression disorder. I will try to contact the IMO/IME doc tomorrow for an opinion tomorrow. Thx

Chow!!!

BR, I would immediately file an appeal tomorrow. Let them know you dissagree with the rating assigned and that you request a higher rating. According to the regs you were LOWBALLED bigtime. Just a fraction of what's in your SOC should at least qualify you for a higher rating than 10%.

Many vets don't appeal and the VA knows this so they just flat out LOWBALL. They know it's a 50/50 chance the Vet won't appeal.

frank

TS, there is not any sentence following".....such as forgetting names, directions, recent events." I will put down everything that's on the raing decision for MDD:

2. Service connection for major depression disorder as secondary to the service-connected disabilities of early degenerative joint disease of the left knee and calcified left quadriceps muscle.

Service connection for major depression disorder has been established as related to the service-connected disabilities of early degenerative joint disease of the left knee and a calcified left quadriceps muscle. The facts listed in issues #1 and #3 are hereby incorporated by reference.

Your recent VA examination notes you report depressed mood, low motivation, insomnia, low energy, decreased ability to concentrate, excessive worry and anxiety, low self esteem, hopelessness, anhedonia, difficulty falling and staying asleep, and passive suicidal ideations. You report panic attacks once a week, associated with shortness of breath and rapid heart rate, precipitated by crossing over bridges , or being in elevators and planes. You report having few relationships due to your limited physical and mental capacity. You currently received outpatient psychiatric and psychological therapy, as well as take oral medication to help control your symptoms.

Interview reveals you are oriented to all spheres, with constricted affect and a depressed mood. You are unable to perform serial 7's or spell a word forward and backward. Your thought processes and content are unremarkable. Your remote memory is within normal limits, your recent memory is mildly impaired, and your immediate memory is moderately impaired. You deny any history of delusions, hallucinations or homicidal ideations. The examiner diagnosed you with single, moderate, major depressive disorder due to your service connected early degenerative joint disease of the left knee and calcified left quadrieps muscle. His rationale being, you had an excellent work record and academic record but have coped with chronic pain and further orthopedic distintegration and began to feel useless, and loss sense of your role in the world, unable to do much for pleasure or others, and developed a long standing depression beginning after a number of years of struggle. He assigned you a Global Assessment of Functioning score of 53, and noted that you are mentally capable of handling your own finances.

An evaluation of 10 percent is assigned from December 27, 2007. An evaluation of 10 percent is granted whenever there is occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress; or symptoms controlled by continuous medication.

A higher evaluation of 30 percent is not warranted unless there is occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although genrally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events).

This is the whole thing that's on my rating decision for major depression disorder. I will try to contact the IMO/IME doc tomorrow for an opinion tomorrow. Thx

Chow!!!