Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 Percent Mental Vs Gi Bill

Rate this question

out_here04

Question

I was rated 100 percent schedular (non-permanent, non-total)service-connected for anxiety/depression last year. I don't work. Don't really want to. VA turned down my TDIU claim but awarded the 100 under the category that I "may improve". I still have all of the Montgomery GI Bill and qualify for 90 percent of the new in-residence post-9/11 GI Bill. I have been military retired for five years, so I have about five years left on the MGIB clock, ten on the post-9/11 GI Bill.

In the past, some on hadit have said if you are 100 percent for mental don't even think about work or school as VA will hold it against you and lower your rating. 100 percent physical and you can toil all you can muster. (hypocritical, seems to me)

Although it would be much less difficult for someone without my diagnosis to successfully complete a full-time college course-load per semester, I feel that I want to give it a try (at least a partial)and who knows? maybe improve.

Another part of this question is that even though the new GI Bill is supposed to be super-dooper and comparable to the one given to WWII-era vets the classroom may not be for me. The Montgomery GI Bill seems to be more flexible to online work. (why the new one did not embrace the technology age is beyond my understanding). I am thinking of taking online college through the MGIB for therapy, a hobby, regain some sense of sanity. I was disqualified for voc rehab which does not allow for such trivial use anyway (have to be pursuing another career)Thoughts on this?

My VSO actually advised that I can go to school no problem as long as I never, myself, ask for a reevaluation of my sc. Maybe I'm confused about what that means. Seems to me VA would know what the other hand is doing (hold your laughter, okay don't) I think it sucks if VA holds self-improvement through its own programs against you for compensation purposes.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

the 100 percent was for one diagnosis, anxiety/depression. i did have strong evidence with a buddy/commander statement reporting a ptsd stressor event that i feel could have stood on its own. i also had other claims that with va fuzzy math even, probaly would have added another 40 percent at least, probably more. sleep apnea itself was rated at 50 percent, others maybe another 30 percent. i'm leaning towards taking the advice of going slow with one manageable online class out of pocket, as therapeutic in an area that is not going to take too much out of me. any online basket weaving classes out there? ha anyway, if i improve i improve, if i don't i don't.

separate part of this: after converting to the gibill from the sucky veap of 80s era and even hanging on enough for 90 percent of the new post 9/11 gi bill i hate to see it go under the bridge with my time ran out. thinking about getting my veteran friendly congressman involved to see if he can sponsor legislation to allow disabled veterans to transfer the educational benefit to dependents. i could cash out at $2700 i have invested but that just gripes me. i think the montgomery gi bill allowed you to transfer to dependents under chapter 35 but that may have been exclusively for those rated 100 percent permanent and total. thoughts?

If you have a VSO you can ask him to look in the system and see what your future exam date is. It is on your code sheet.

Also, do you have a copy of your c-file? If not, now (post 100% Decision and pre next exam) would be a good time to get it. You say you have evidence for another 40% - there may be even more in your c-file that you are unaware of. When the time comes for another C&P exam, if they reduce your overall rating, having this evidence and understanding it will help you prepare you appeal.

I am still bothered that they rated you 100% based on 70% symptoms. That puzzles me based on the information you've posted.

While the information concerning the rating schedule percentages is confusing at first, once you've read it a million times and compared it to your evidence you will practically have it memorized. As far as when you quit worrying about this "stuff" - I still follow vawatchdog.org and hadit to keep abreast of what's going on with the VA even though I'm rated 100% P&T. Too many "permanent and total" vets have been called back in for C&P exams even though their future exam date is "none".

Hang on to your education benefits, whatever they are. If your depression/anxiety resolves either through time, counseling, or meds, you will want to have the option to go to college on your benefits.

Take care,

TS

i will look back, maybe i got the info from a previous rating, i had three decision packets out when posting. both me and my wife would rather i improve than sit on a 100 percent rating for life.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you don't mind me asking how old are you? If you have 30 possible years of work ahead of you that is very different than a 55 year old vet who is 100%. The older vet has a much bigger incentive to keep his 100% rating and forget about ever trying to go back to work. Plus people over 40 have a hell of a time getting good jobs in this America. Shoot for some kind of self employment. That is the best deal for person with a disability. You won't be dealing with age and disability discrimination.

i'm 48 in december and starting to feel my age. i have thought about self employment maybe in the future. if i learn to adjust better.

Have you thought about non-earned-income through self-employment? An example might be making an investment in a house and hiring others to fix it making a profit when it is sold. This would turn investment income and not earned income. I am not interested in homes right now but a few years ago I bought and sold land. I am currently looking for a new way for income. I sincerely believe that not working (for many of us) makes our disability much worse.

Any ideas? Please voice them out!!!!

Rob