Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 Percent Mental Vs Gi Bill

Rate this question

out_here04

Question

I was rated 100 percent schedular (non-permanent, non-total)service-connected for anxiety/depression last year. I don't work. Don't really want to. VA turned down my TDIU claim but awarded the 100 under the category that I "may improve". I still have all of the Montgomery GI Bill and qualify for 90 percent of the new in-residence post-9/11 GI Bill. I have been military retired for five years, so I have about five years left on the MGIB clock, ten on the post-9/11 GI Bill.

In the past, some on hadit have said if you are 100 percent for mental don't even think about work or school as VA will hold it against you and lower your rating. 100 percent physical and you can toil all you can muster. (hypocritical, seems to me)

Although it would be much less difficult for someone without my diagnosis to successfully complete a full-time college course-load per semester, I feel that I want to give it a try (at least a partial)and who knows? maybe improve.

Another part of this question is that even though the new GI Bill is supposed to be super-dooper and comparable to the one given to WWII-era vets the classroom may not be for me. The Montgomery GI Bill seems to be more flexible to online work. (why the new one did not embrace the technology age is beyond my understanding). I am thinking of taking online college through the MGIB for therapy, a hobby, regain some sense of sanity. I was disqualified for voc rehab which does not allow for such trivial use anyway (have to be pursuing another career)Thoughts on this?

My VSO actually advised that I can go to school no problem as long as I never, myself, ask for a reevaluation of my sc. Maybe I'm confused about what that means. Seems to me VA would know what the other hand is doing (hold your laughter, okay don't) I think it sucks if VA holds self-improvement through its own programs against you for compensation purposes.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

<H5 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">b. Considering a 100 Percent Evaluation</H5>Decide whether the veteran meets the requirements for a schedular 100-percent evaluation before considering the issue of IU.

Note: If a 100 percent SC evaluation is awarded, any pending claim for a total disability evaluation based on IU is moot.

M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, Chapter 2, Section F

• In Memoriam

A few years after I got out of service I thought that I would go for a degree and that this would only take a few years. I started out at full time and found out that I could not handle it. I cut to 3/4 time and still it was to rough. I cut to 1/2 time and I could barely make it.

I did finish but it took years.

What I am trying to say is that you might take into consideration what you think you can handle and what you really can handle.

Thanks for all the replies and clarification.

I am surprised they cited the schedule for a 70% rating for your anxiety and yet awarded you a 100% temp rating instead of saying you were 70% based on sx and then awarding you 100% IU based on your not holding down a job.

Anyone have any ideas why they would do this? Usually it's the other way around. In my case, the C&P clearly stated 100% and yet they rated me 50% so I had to appeal to get properly rated.

Keep on your toes and when they reexamine your anxiety, I would request evaluation for IU P&T at that point.

Do you know what your future exam date is?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The best description of your current psychiatric impairment is your symptoms cause occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas of work, school, family relations, judgement, thinking and mood. The above statement is supported by the following symptoms: obsessional rituals, near continuous panic and depression"

9440 Chronic adjustment disorder

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:

gross impairment in thought processes or communication;

persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate

behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent

inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance

of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory

loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 100

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas,

such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood,

due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals

which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,

obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting

the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;

impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods

of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and

hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including

work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain

effective relationships 70

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/regs/38CFR/BOO...ART4/S4_130.DOC

Good luck with college!

TS

i don't have a clue when any follow-up exam would be scheduled. i got my award in october or november, and haven't received any correspondence about anything upcoming. is it usually in one year, two years, five years? anybody know? also don't know about the wording of 70 percent vs 100 percent in describing anything. this all makes my head hurt anyway. do you ever get to relax with this ... stuff?

• HadIt.com Elder

I would bet that the reason you got a 100% non-permanent rating is because you are young. They are not supposed to do this but they do it all the time. The VA probably is hoping you will improve enough so they can reduce the 100% rating within a few years. Why not sign up for one class on your own dime to see if you can hack it. Stick your toe in the water before you jump in. Just be sure you don't tell anyone at the VA you are feeling better or taking a class. This would be poison to a 100% claim in my opinion. What exactly did you get the 100% rating for? Was it Adjusmtne Disorder?

Yes, this would definetely be poisen to a "temporary" 100% rating I would think. Hence, temporary for the VA to take away at earliest convienence.

frank

I would bet that the reason you got a 100% non-permanent rating is because you are young. They are not supposed to do this but they do it all the time. The VA probably is hoping you will improve enough so they can reduce the 100% rating within a few years. Why not sign up for one class on your own dime to see if you can hack it. Stick your toe in the water before you jump in. Just be sure you don't tell anyone at the VA you are feeling better or taking a class. This would be poison to a 100% claim in my opinion. What exactly did you get the 100% rating for? Was it Adjusmtne Disorder?