Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 Percent Mental Vs Gi Bill

Rate this question

out_here04

Question

I was rated 100 percent schedular (non-permanent, non-total)service-connected for anxiety/depression last year. I don't work. Don't really want to. VA turned down my TDIU claim but awarded the 100 under the category that I "may improve". I still have all of the Montgomery GI Bill and qualify for 90 percent of the new in-residence post-9/11 GI Bill. I have been military retired for five years, so I have about five years left on the MGIB clock, ten on the post-9/11 GI Bill.

In the past, some on hadit have said if you are 100 percent for mental don't even think about work or school as VA will hold it against you and lower your rating. 100 percent physical and you can toil all you can muster. (hypocritical, seems to me)

Although it would be much less difficult for someone without my diagnosis to successfully complete a full-time college course-load per semester, I feel that I want to give it a try (at least a partial)and who knows? maybe improve.

Another part of this question is that even though the new GI Bill is supposed to be super-dooper and comparable to the one given to WWII-era vets the classroom may not be for me. The Montgomery GI Bill seems to be more flexible to online work. (why the new one did not embrace the technology age is beyond my understanding). I am thinking of taking online college through the MGIB for therapy, a hobby, regain some sense of sanity. I was disqualified for voc rehab which does not allow for such trivial use anyway (have to be pursuing another career)Thoughts on this?

My VSO actually advised that I can go to school no problem as long as I never, myself, ask for a reevaluation of my sc. Maybe I'm confused about what that means. Seems to me VA would know what the other hand is doing (hold your laughter, okay don't) I think it sucks if VA holds self-improvement through its own programs against you for compensation purposes.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

long story but disability helped mess up my credit, so investing in anything is out for me right now. i do know someone who is able to do this, even in a depressed market (probably one of the worst in country) and they are closing on a flipped house, so maybe the economy is looking up to where this is an option for some.

I would exercise a little bit of caution here. If you are getting 100% from the VA and you are self employed, you will still have to report that income. You see there is a definate double standard that applies.

Standard 1. If you are disabled by social securty an are wanting to use your SSD as evidence for VA TDIU, the VA will tell you they dont have access to your social security records and make you try to send them to them.

Standard 2. However, if you are collecting IU, or Pension, you can bet the VA will know about every dollar you earn, and take it out of your hide, compliments of social security records. They will get your records and use it against you.

So, on one hand the VA will tell you they dont have access to social security records, on the other hand the VA will tell you they have your social security records and that you owe them money.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can do some job as a handy man or some minor service job on cash basis you might be able to stay under the radar. You have to keep a low profile. You can't have employees or have a payroll. You could flip houses but you can't do the work to repair them yourself. Start a lawn care business with just you and the mower.