Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Pay Issue

Rate this question

hacarlton

Question

I won a claim at the BVA after 11 years. They sent it to the RO to determine eff. date and retro. pay amt. Now the RO tells me that since the Retro exceeds 250k, it has to go through another step. Can anyone advise on how long this takes? Thanks in advance for your help.

HA Carlton

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It's a win for your attorney too. 10-15% of $250,000 is a big chunk of money but well worth it when you receive your award. I bet you're estatic. When you get your money sit back and relax and think about what your plans will be with this much money.

DON'T GO OUT SPENDING LIKE CRAZY. LOL

DH

This is great news. I forwarded it to my atty.
crazy-dog.jpg&h=94&w=133&usg=__KOn1hLijeKDD3LwW2tzES4paAcQ=

It's a win for your attorney too. 10-15% of $250,000 is a big chunk of money but well worth it when you receive your award. I bet you're estatic. When you get your money sit back and relax and think about what your plans will be with this much money.

DON'T GO OUT SPENDING LIKE CRAZY. LOL

DH

I won't be estatic until I actually see it. I already know what I'll do... have the house painted, pay for my kid's college, give something back to the food pantry for their help,all important non wastefull stuff. My big splurge will be a new washer and kitchen stove. Thanks guys for all your support.

HA Carlton

If you're 100% P&T I think college is paid for your dependents. I don't have children so I might be wrong. Maybe someone else can add something as far as educational benefits.

DH

I won't be estatic until I actually see it. I already know what I'll do... have the house painted, pay for my kid's college, give something back to the food pantry for their help,all important non wastefull stuff. My big splurge will be a new washer and kitchen stove. Thanks guys for all your support.
crazy-dog.jpg&h=94&w=133&usg=__KOn1hLijeKDD3LwW2tzES4paAcQ=

• HadIt.com Elder
If you're 100% P&T I think college is paid for your dependents. I don't have children so I might be wrong. Maybe someone else can add something as far as educational benefits.

DH

If you are 100% P&T then your spouse and children are entitled to Chap 35 benefits. Chap 35 benefits contain DEA (dependent educational assistance) and CHAMPVA medical. BOTH these Chap 35 benefits are ALSO retroactive back to the EED (earliest effective date) when you became 100% P&T. SO, the educational assistance is retroactive back to whenever you became 100% P&T. And the CHAMPVA health is also retroactive back to that same date. If you have been out any expense for health care (prescriptions, doctors visits, etc.) take the receipts and when you have filled out the enrollment forms and get the okay back that your spouse and kids have CHAMPVA, then fill out a claim form and send these receipts off to CHAMPVA and you'll get your money. Send off your kids forms to enroll them in the DEA benefits and if they have been attending school since you became elegible for 100% P&T, then have the VA person at their school send off the info to the VA and they will get their DEA benefits back to the date when you became eligible for P&T.

Also, if you are interested, you are also eligible for what is called your MWR card (morale, welfare, recreation) to use on base faciliities and shopping, etc.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Yes, if you are P and T, Ch. 35 will pay for your dependents education if your children can survive without income until the VA gets around to "processing" your application. Right now, there is a 254,000 backlog of education benefits applications, so your children are in for a long, long wait. The VA said that Education claimants will get their check by Oct. 1 , but I say your kids should buy a lottery ticket and then see which one gets your kid his check by Oct 1...I would bet on the lottery ticket.

Once the VA gets a claims backlog, that backlog grows and grows..compensation benefits backlog has grown 15% on Shinseki's watch, and that does not even count the "new" education benefits backlog. Do you think your kids application will be put at the top of the 254,000 backlog pile?

Since most colleges require payment of tuition and books before attending classes, the VA's inefficiency at processing education benefits has rendered both Ch.35 and Post 9-11 education benefits worthless. The VA is trying to get the word out on this, so that fewer people apply, which would make the VA "look better".

Their message to new claimants when applying for VA benefits is clear: Give up now and you will save yourself a lot of frustration.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco, not debating your opinion or others expereiences or even the backlog facts. I do recommend if a vet and thier family have Ch. 35 benefits awarded that's good. Next, apply, followup all paperwork, dates just like any process - if it's not used we all loose. Guess I like to hope these benefits are good things, not the answer to everything but some $ is better than none. GI bill was good to me. Ch. 35 will sure help my kiddos if so awarded.

Good thoughts to all,

Cg

Yes, if you are P and T, Ch. 35 will pay for your dependents education if your children can survive without income until the VA gets around to "processing" your application. Right now, there is a 254,000 backlog of education benefits applications, so your children are in for a long, long wait. The VA said that Education claimants will get their check by Oct. 1 , but I say your kids should buy a lottery ticket and then see which one gets your kid his check by Oct 1...I would bet on the lottery ticket.

Once the VA gets a claims backlog, that backlog grows and grows..compensation benefits backlog has grown 15% on Shinseki's watch, and that does not even count the "new" education benefits backlog. Do you think your kids application will be put at the top of the 254,000 backlog pile?

Since most colleges require payment of tuition and books before attending classes, the VA's inefficiency at processing education benefits has rendered both Ch.35 and Post 9-11 education benefits worthless. The VA is trying to get the word out on this, so that fewer people apply, which would make the VA "look better".

Their message to new claimants when applying for VA benefits is clear: Give up now and you will save yourself a lot of frustration.

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!