Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 31 Voc Rehab

Rate this question

sandboxsquid

Question

I applied for Voc rehab benefits over a month ago. What is a reasonable length of time to expect answers from the va on my application? I am 40% SC disabled, and also meet all the other criteria for the benefits.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Why not call them and ask them. They are probably officed at the VAMC you go to or at your friendly VARO.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I applied for Voc rehab benefits over a month ago. What is a reasonable length of time to expect answers from the va on my application? I am 40% SC disabled, and also meet all the other criteria for the benefits.

I was 40% when I started VocRehab and I was ready to go by the next semester, have you been tested yet? It wouldn't hurt to call and check in.

I was 40% when I started VocRehab and I was ready to go by the next semester, have you been tested yet? It wouldn't hurt to call and check in.

After I had been awarded my benefits of 50% I filled out the paper work for Chapter 31 (Voc Rehab) assitenance documents and subitted to them. I received an appointment to come in for an orientation a week later. After my orentation, I met with my couselor who had me take a test and we did a plan of action to see what I can qualify for. After 2 weeks, weh narrowed it down to attend college. I then had to look into what type of classes I want to get into that they (VA) would have to approve. So now I attend college for my AS degree in Construction Management.

I hope this helps you out, if not then call them or look it up on the web site.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It took them about 6 weeks before responding to my request. I got a letter in the mail and it gave me an appointment date that I was not supposed to miss.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

You get the initial appointment and then you will get a work-up with a rehab counselor to determine what your goals are etc. The VA does want to rehab you because once rehabed and employed at higher level they have a good reason to reduce your compensation. It is a good trade if it works for you. If the VA can rehab you and your compensation goes from 50% to 10% it will save the VA thousands over a lifetime. That is the idea as far as I know. If you fail rehab it is a good reason to ask for a higher rating and maybe IU.

Thanks for all the help on this question. I had my intitial interview a few weeks ago, and will finalize everything here in the next week with all the completed necessary paperwork. Hopefully I will be able to start school in January.