Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Id Card

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://books.google.com/books?id=TpJNJK4Pn...ans&f=false

I dont know if it is the same thing but some survivors of vets can get one-I was told to make appointment with the closest Army Reserve near Corning- as they needed to take my picture for the card.

There is other info if you google military ID card-

Many here know best how to get one-

Funny thing- this link is from the book- VETERANS FOR DUMMIES

Heck why didnt we all think of that-with all the good info here-we would be on the NY Best Seller list and hadit would be more famous then it is now-

My early days in VA OLA land sure makes me know I was a dummy then when I think back.

Has any one bought this book yet?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Testvet for that info. DH

If you are 100% P&T ask the VARO to send you the letter authorizing the ID card you will get an orange dependent card but then we all do it will put your highest rank on it and it says DAVPRM next to it but you can use all military facilities other than hospitals, medical clinics, pharmacies etc you can use PX, commissary, Class 6 MWR facilities etc, get your car registered on base etc get AFFEES catalogs etc just like when you were in I also use the ID card at K Mart and LOWEs and other places that offer discounts when we bought new appliances at Lowes we saved over 400 dollars with that ID card you can also use the letters to get disabled vet plates in most states which keeps you from having to pay the annual taxes South Carolina has some great benies for 100% P&T

My DEERS status is Medical Discharge (honorable). I'm 100% now, so the rating isn't an issue at all...just found it odd that when I asked before (more than once) the personnel folks refused to change my DD214. I also have 3 different discharge dates...LOL! I have two separate discharge certificates, with the dates about 2 years apart (for the TDRL) and the date on my DD214 doesn't match either one of them. I knew they had screwed my case up, but no one at the higher personnel level would listen.

Purple...but it is the issue. For years, each of the services had it's own rules on how to establish and run the PEB process. Each service also wrote and applied it's own version of the VASRD--the ratings schedule. Ratings were different (usually lower) and the standard was more in line with workmen's compensation in the civilian world, that is your disability was rated against your ability to perform your job, not on the broader standard the VA uses (more quality of life and earning ability). To make matters worse, where the VA is required to rate ALL disabilities deemed service connected, the PEB was allowed to "cherry pick" the single, lowest rated, disability to determine fitness for duty and disability rating. Lower that 30% equaled discharge, severance pay, and a referral to the VA.

The public scandal over the Walter Reid fiasco was but the tip of the iceburg, and in reality nothing but a sideshow. The real issue was veterans who were found unfit for duty, discharged with a paltry severence pay, and turned over to the VA for lifetime care. This same veteran, rated 0/10/20% was examined by the VA and rated much higher and in all too many cases rated at 100%.

Now how can the AF say you are unfit for military service with a less than 30% disability and subsequent be rated as totally disabled...for the SAME DISABLING CONDITION(S)?

The NDAA of 2008 directed SECDEF to establish a Physical Disability Board of Review (http://www.health.mil/Pages/Page.aspx?ID=19) to review/correct PEB discharge ratings since 9/11/01. It's not automatic, you have to apply. Again, DoD is interpreting the law to its advantage to the detriment of the veteran. Currently, the PDBR is only allowed to reconsider what was presented to the PEB, anything left out, ignored, or simply not available at the time of the PEB is not under consideration.

Several options...you can apply for reconsideration of your lowballed PEB rating (and you thought only the VA did that) to the PDBR. or, you can apply to the AFBMR using DD form 149. You can write your representative, the President, and can file in federal court if administrative remedies are unsuccessful.

Why go through the pain? You would get a new DD214, a Blue--retiree--ID card, access to DoD installation worldwide including MWR, BX/Commissary (except overseas), etc. You get TRICARE and reaching 65 with Medicare, TRICARE for Life. Okay, at 100%, you get most of these already, but the one additional perk you get is retired pay in addition to your VA compensation. I forget the formula, but it's based on years of service and disability percentage.

Charles

Regardless of what your DD214 says, your ability to obtain a retiree id card and TRICARE is determined in DEERS. You can call or visit any RAPIDS site to see if you are registered in DEERS and what your status is.

If you were rated less than 30% by the PEB, are you eligible to apply for reconsideration?

Charles

• HadIt.com Elder
My DD214 reflects my former TDRL status....there were "Special Orders" cut that took me off TDRL and medically discharged me; but my DD214 was never changed; it still reads "Retirement". When I asked the personnel folks about having it changed, they said no. So according to my DD214........I'm retired???

I've heard that if you were discharged with a 30% disability or more and were transferred to the temporarily disabled retirement list, you were considered retired under service department regulations and federal law. Maybe you need to apply for retirement at whatever age eligibility begins and see what happens. I've also heard of other veterans here on hadit who had multiple copies of their discharge documents with different information on them.

Edited by deltaj

• HadIt.com Elder
Do we have to take our DD214 when we go to get our ID or will a letter from VA suffice? I lost my DD214.

dh

Unless your records burned in the fire at the National Personnel Records Center in about 1972, you should be able to obtain a certified copy of your DD214 from the National Personnel Records Center. Contact your county veterans service office to obtain a form so you can obtain copies of this document. I think you will use an SF 180 form, but I am not sure about this.

Delta

Contact your county veterans service office to obtain a form so you can obtain copies of this document.

Or go VFR-Direct (sorry, straight to) the National Personnel Records Center's military records website...see if you records went to VA or NPRC. Download the SF180 or fillout the online records request form (you will need to print and fax/snail mail a separate signature form before they will process the request).

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-...d-form-180.html