Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Id Card

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://books.google.com/books?id=TpJNJK4Pn...ans&f=false

I dont know if it is the same thing but some survivors of vets can get one-I was told to make appointment with the closest Army Reserve near Corning- as they needed to take my picture for the card.

There is other info if you google military ID card-

Many here know best how to get one-

Funny thing- this link is from the book- VETERANS FOR DUMMIES

Heck why didnt we all think of that-with all the good info here-we would be on the NY Best Seller list and hadit would be more famous then it is now-

My early days in VA OLA land sure makes me know I was a dummy then when I think back.

Has any one bought this book yet?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No, I and my son's have ID cards....I was mentioning about how could I get a retiree ID card to match my DD214 that shows me as "retired" (which I know will never happen).

Somethng doesn't seem right. If you are retired then when you retired the last thing you should have done before leaving the Military Post, was to go to the ID card section, turn in your active duty ID card, and get a retirement ID card DD Form 2. I suggest that you take that DD 214, a copy of your retirement orders, and get yourself to an ID card section at your nearest faculity. If you are retired, you are entitled to Tricare medical benefits and that alone is worth the little trouble for getting the right ID card. If you are retired you are entitled to the rights and benefits of a retiree. As a retiree you do not even need a letter from the VA.

My DD214 reflects my former TDRL status....there were "Special Orders" cut that took me off TDRL and medically discharged me; but my DD214 was never changed; it still reads "Retirement". When I asked the personnel folks about having it changed, they said no. So according to my DD214........I'm retired???

Berta--if you are retired, then you get a blue (used to be gray) id card that is indefinate and says "US Air Force Retired" (or whatever branch of service you retired from). Dependants continue to get the tan dependants id card that expires every 3 years or so, except that over 75, or permanently disabled at any age can apply for an indefinate dependant id card. As a retiree (dependant), you are able to get base stickers (everyone but AF), shop the commissary and BX, and use pretty much any service or facility on the base.

Purple...If I understand correctly, you were on the TDRL. At some point, you were judged to be "stablized" (as in not getting better, and not eligible to remain on AD) and subsequently medically discharged? I take it your service modified disability rating was less than 30%--meaning you were simply discharged, and not Chap 61 retired, as in no TRICARE and no retired pay? If that is the case, then you should have gotten a revised DD214. You can petition the Board of Military Corrections, but not sure its worth the hassle as long as what you have indicates "Honorable" vs any other classification (on copy 4--member's copy). Regardless of what your DD214 says, your ability to obtain a retiree id card and TRICARE is determined in DEERS. You can call or visit any RAPIDS site to see if you are registered in DEERS and what your status is.

If you were rated less than 30% by the PEB, are you eligible to apply for reconsideration?

Charles

My DEERS status is Medical Discharge (honorable). I'm 100% now, so the rating isn't an issue at all...just found it odd that when I asked before (more than once) the personnel folks refused to change my DD214. I also have 3 different discharge dates...LOL! I have two separate discharge certificates, with the dates about 2 years apart (for the TDRL) and the date on my DD214 doesn't match either one of them. I knew they had screwed my case up, but no one at the higher personnel level would listen.

since I have an OTH discharge can I get Commissary privaleges if im at 100% p&t? Since VA has determined my service was honorable for VA benefits will that do? I also have a letter from the VA stating my service was honorable even though I received an OTH.

Just wondering if i'm out of luck?

dh

My DEERS status is Medical Discharge (honorable). I'm 100% now, so the rating isn't an issue at all...just found it odd that when I asked before (more than once) the personnel folks refused to change my DD214. I also have 3 different discharge dates...LOL! I have two separate discharge certificates, with the dates about 2 years apart (for the TDRL) and the date on my DD214 doesn't match either one of them. I knew they had screwed my case up, but no one at the higher personnel level would listen.
Edited by darkhorse

• HadIt.com Elder
since I have an OTH discharge can I get Commissary privaleges if im at 100% p&t? Since VA has determined my service was honorable for VA benefits will that do? I also have a letter from the VA stating my service was honorable even though I received an OTH.

Just wondering if i'm out of luck?

dh

If you are 100% P&T ask the VARO to send you the letter authorizing the ID card you will get an orange dependent card but then we all do it will put your highest rank on it and it says DAVPRM next to it but you can use all military facilities other than hospitals, medical clinics, pharmacies etc you can use PX, commissary, Class 6 MWR facilities etc, get your car registered on base etc get AFFEES catalogs etc just like when you were in I also use the ID card at K Mart and LOWEs and other places that offer discounts when we bought new appliances at Lowes we saved over 400 dollars with that ID card you can also use the letters to get disabled vet plates in most states which keeps you from having to pay the annual taxes South Carolina has some great benies for 100% P&T