Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Id Card

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://books.google.com/books?id=TpJNJK4Pn...ans&f=false

I dont know if it is the same thing but some survivors of vets can get one-I was told to make appointment with the closest Army Reserve near Corning- as they needed to take my picture for the card.

There is other info if you google military ID card-

Many here know best how to get one-

Funny thing- this link is from the book- VETERANS FOR DUMMIES

Heck why didnt we all think of that-with all the good info here-we would be on the NY Best Seller list and hadit would be more famous then it is now-

My early days in VA OLA land sure makes me know I was a dummy then when I think back.

Has any one bought this book yet?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Some state of record also keep a copy of the DD214. You have to contact the state department of veterans affairs and they should be able to help.

I know KY does.

J

I've heard that if you were discharged with a 30% disability or more and were transferred to the temporarily disabled retirement list, you were considered retired under service department regulations and federal law.

You are close...technically, with a service-rated disability of at least 30% you are medically retired...20% or less you are discharged.

TDRL is the Tempory Duty Retired List and can last as long 5 years (although there are re-evals every 12-18 months); after that you are either fit for duty, medically retired, or discharged with severance pay. The TDRL is for servicemembers who are sick/injured and need extended time away from work in order to stablize their condition. You cannot permanently retire on the TDRL.

The services have low-balled servicemembers in the PEB process for years--as I said, cherry picking the lowest rated disability, ignoring the rest, in order to get off with a few thousand $$ in severance pay (as opposed to retirement pay, full TRICARE access, etc.). It was a dollars and cents game. and you thought the VA was bad...

So, if you were low-balled during the PEB process, there are two options.

1. If your PEB/discharge was post 9/11, there is a congressionally mandated review panel (see my earlier post below).

2. Or, regardless of when your PEB was, you can petition to your service's Board of Military Corrections (DD Form 149)--only problem here is the longer you wait, the more likely it is the board will not review your case due to the delay.

Yea but a DD 214 is all that is required to prove retirement ... and some sp4 will update the deers computer to retired status because other than a DD 214 there is no other proff of retirement........

Well, aside from the ethical issue...and the potential legal issues...that is not correct. First, on many bases, the work is done either by government civilians or contractors. Second, the local personnel office has read access to DEERS and can make address changes, update/add dependants, but major changes to the servicemember (current or former) is usually NOT handled at the local level. Finally, in addition to the DD214 and Retirement Certificate (suitable for framing), every retiree has a set of orders transferring him/her from the active list to the retired list, and what the local personnel office wants is the retirement order to submit up the chain.

Well, aside from the ethical issue...and the potential legal issues...that is not correct. First, on many bases, the work is done either by government civilians or contractors. Second, the local personnel office has read access to DEERS and can make address changes, update/add dependants, but major changes to the servicemember (current or former) is usually NOT handled at the local level. Finally, in addition to the DD214 and Retirement Certificate (suitable for framing), every retiree has a set of orders transferring him/her from the active list to the retired list, and what the local personnel office wants is the retirement order to submit up the chain.

I don't thing The local office really care as long as they have some kind of proof, I've seen it done at Fort Bragg, and Fort Hood where the clerks have gone in and changed things.... In fact they did it for me at Fort Hood when my son's id expired because he was over 18, and out of HS. He later when to college.. took a few key strokes and my son had a new ID card for four more years.....

But lets move on because this is getting us no where....

You are close...technically, with a service-rated disability of at least 30% you are medically retired...20% or less you are discharged.

TDRL is the Tempory Duty Retired List and can last as long 5 years (although there are re-evals every 12-18 months); after that you are either fit for duty, medically retired, or discharged with severance pay. The TDRL is for servicemembers who are sick/injured and need extended time away from work in order to stablize their condition. You cannot permanently retire on the TDRL.

Actually TDRL means temporary disablity retired list, and PDRL means permanent disability retired list. Most chapter 61 retiree dependents will have PDRL, or TDRL on the ID card they are issued. If a service member is on either list, he should get the Form 2 retired ID card. I have seen veterans on the TDRL list never get reevaluated, and go right into PDRL, sometimes overnight, sometimes five years later.

:) Well, in theory...but we know how that works...

you are right, the nits aren't the real issue...it's all the vets discharged with a paltry severence pay thanks to a broken PEB process. Getting rated 50/70/100 by the VA a few months later just highlights the problem.