Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost Benefits

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Here is one example of "lost benefits" that a Veteran can recover:

Veteran files for disability benefits in 2002. VA does their usual delay/deny methods but the Veteran persisits and wins his benefits effective in 2007. In order to recover his benefits, the Veteran will need to go back to the VA hospital and file for recovery of his copayments on prescription drugs, usually at the "means test" department of the hospital. When a Veteran becomes 100% his co pay is zero, but while he is waiting for his benefits, he has to pay about $8.00 per month in many cases for each prescription. The Va is ruthless about collecting their money, and will deduct it from your tax refund check, and even charge you interest. (The VA has a policy of charging Veterans interest on monies the Veteran owes, but, when the VA owes the Veteran money, the Vet gets no interest)

The VA wont automatically send the Veteran a refund of the copays..the Veteran has to apply for it.

Please post your ideas on other "lost benefits" that a Veteran can get.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I just dont want you to have to have false hope.

I wish the best.

John

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

I just dont want you to have to have false hope.

I wish the best.

John

Thank you John. I appreciate that. False hope is not something I'm holding out for.

Hope is a constant though. Meaning that if the penny isn't in the pocket it's not there.

A good friend of mine gave me some good advise a long time ago. He said if you don't ask

for what you need or want you have a 100% chance of not getting it. He also said if you

do ask then at least it's 50/50.

This has been a very tough year for alot of people, my family included. The internet has

provided me an avenue of education and support like I've never known in my life.

Thank you to you all....I'm thankful to have found this web-site.

VetsLady

VetsLady and, Proud to Be

Vets lady: There are quite a few benefits to you/your husband. They should have classes in college on Vetrans benefits. States often have benefits for Veterans, also, to ge more on your state, go to:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showforum=64

Some examples of state benefits for disabled Vets are property tax exemptions for at least two states, Ohio and Texas, free license plates in some states, free camping and/ or fishing licenses in some states for disabled Vetrans. Some Vets get free or reduced tuition at state colleges.

Especially after you get your hubbies 100%, then you can get a military Id card for use at a commisary/Post Exchange in your area. The one in our area has stuff and does not charge any sales tax. This id will also get you discounts (often 10%) at many places. I can think of several. Verizon cell phones, Lowes, Home Depot, and at least one Waffle HOuse all offer about a 10% discount with military or disabled military ID.

Also after hubbie is 100%, you become eligible for health insurance through Champva at no cost. (If either you or him was a government employee, then it might be tricare instead).

You can get aid and attendance benefits for you if you need special care and your hubbie is 100%.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are traveling for service-connected VA PTSD treatment you should get mileage. I attend a vets weekly PTSD group, held in a county bldg, by the VA and the first thing the counselor does is give us our mileage sheets. I mail it the same day and generally within a month receive my travel check.

I've never heard any amount limit.

pr

yes, I'm curious about the retro "travel pay" issue. I was under the impression its a max of 52 or 54$/mo? would this cover only C&P exams or would this include help for say PTSD issues?

any light on this topic would be appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

The mileage is calculated from zip code to zip code. When I got it it was fairly generous as they said 200 miles and the actual mileage was about 180 round trip.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

That's one of the things that ticks me off. VA employees get actual miles traveled at around 50 cents a mile and we get short changed. I travel 106 miles, round trip, weekly and only get paid for 92 miles. Just another way they screw the vet!!!!

pr

The mileage is calculated from zip code to zip code. When I got it it was fairly generous as they said 200 miles and the actual mileage was about 180 round trip.