• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Gets Cola, Vets Get Nothing

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Here it is:

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-...s?ESRC=navy-a.n

The military says that military deserves a pay raise, and I agree, but says on the other hand, Veterans get zero.

The VA squandering of our money is bad enough, an increase was given to the VA by congress sufficient for a pay raise, but VA executives decided to keep this money for themselves and award each other bonuses instead.

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Philip Rogers..

This "no cola" thing is not just a one year thing..it is looking like we wont get a raise for 2 years, and if they get away with that, why not 3, 5, or ten years?

I dont think you have a full understanding about inflation.

When I was a boy, a guy came to my home and he was talking to my father about doing an insurance type investment that would mean that my father would get $100 per month to retire on! Can you imagine all you could do with a hundred bucks a month? Gas was probably about 15 cents a gallon.

Sure 3500 per month sounds like a lot to you now. But just give a few years of inflation and zero cola, and see how much it goes. Its probably not going to be that long until your heat bill will be 3500 per month.

When I was in school, we paid 20 cents for lunch. Thats right, change back from a quarter, for a complete lunch. Yesterday, I went to the VA lunchroom for lunch..I got two pieces of chicken, two vegetables, and a drink for $8.20 That means that prices went up about 40times in about 50 years. So you think you got it made on 3500 and dont need a cola..well you just wait!

My brother retired about 15 years ago and offered this advice: Figure out how much you need for retirement, then multipy it times ten, and it will be about right.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey, I am a retired federal employee. I get zero COLA, and my private insurance through the government rose by 12%. I got a pay cut every time my insurance that covers my wife and me goes up. My COLA never covers the increase in my insurance. My insurance premium now takes up 2/3 of my tiny disability pension. Pretty soon I will have to pay the Office of Personnel Management to keep the insurance instead of them paying me. If I had only myself to take care of it would be a breeze. Unfortunately I have a wife who only will get SSA. No pension. My pension and VA compensation has to pay for both of us. How many here get a pension separate from SSA, or VA compensation? Our father's generation got pensions from their jobs. Almost none of us will get one. I have not noticed that food is cheaper. My property insurance is soaring. My house lost 40% of its value. My IRA that I shoved money into for 25 years lost 20%. I worked. I saved. I invested, and yet at age 60 I have less than at age 50. Something wrong with dat! I pity the younger generation because if they do not get professions, and start investing wisely at 25 years old they will be broke at age 65. Most people in the over 40 generation are facing having to work til' they drop. Those with VA compensation may be the lucky ones because if our checks bounce the whole country will bounce. 50% of the population is two weeks away from financial disaster.

I too am confortable and I'm at 2K per month which includes SSDI.

A little more would be nice.

My complaints lay only in the desire for proper, legal adjudication

of my VBA claim issues.

If that never happens I will still be OK financially.

Many, many people just live so terribly above their means.

I couldn't take that added stress, so when as my health continued getting

worse, I downsized my needs accordingly.

I feel people also have this entitlement idea to anything and everything available.

Cost Of Living Adjustments are not an entitlement

and without certain inflation factors, they will not be allowed.

It's simply Math 101.

Regarding active duty service members pay them, pay them, pay them !

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Philip Rogers..

This "no cola" thing is not just a one year thing..it is looking like we wont get a raise for 2 years, and if they get away with that, why not 3, 5, or ten years?

I dont think you have a full understanding about inflation.

When I was a boy, a guy came to my home and he was talking to my father about doing an insurance type investment that would mean that my father would get $100 per month to retire on! Can you imagine all you could do with a hundred bucks a month? Gas was probably about 15 cents a gallon.

Sure 3500 per month sounds like a lot to you now. But just give a few years of inflation and zero cola, and see how much it goes. Its probably not going to be that long until your heat bill will be 3500 per month.

When I was in school, we paid 20 cents for lunch. Thats right, change back from a quarter, for a complete lunch. Yesterday, I went to the VA lunchroom for lunch..I got two pieces of chicken, two vegetables, and a drink for $8.20 That means that prices went up about 40times in about 50 years. So you think you got it made on 3500 and dont need a cola..well you just wait!

My brother retired about 15 years ago and offered this advice: Figure out how much you need for retirement, then multipy it times ten, and it will be about right.

Your not the one understanding inflation. We get COLA as inflation rises. No inflation = no COLA. There was no inflation thus there is no COLA. Next year will depend on next years inflation. If there is inflation over the .2 of loss this year, we will get COLA. If there is no inflation or it equals the .2, there is no COLA.

The military is not the same as being a veteran. They should get a raise. They need a raise to help increase recruitment.

If you haven't noticed, much of the country is hurting. I will not ask taxpayers to pay more for me when they are doing with less.

I'm happy to be getting what I do from VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

When you do get to retirement your biggest cost is health care. One factar most don't look at is the cost of long term care. If you are at least 70% as a vet you can get the VA to pay for your long term care. Those who don't have this benefit will see everything they ever owned go to pay for the nursing home or home care. I know this from experience. Their spouse or legal significant other will also be impoverished, and have to live on beans while the other slowly rots in a nursing home. This is a hidden booby trap in our golden years. It is much cheaper to die young, but most would not choose that option.