Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P

Rate this question

granny

Question

Finally got C & P coming up on the 19th. after long time have solid stressors of PTSD,panic attacks, everything else you can think of...been getting SS from day one.for anxiety disorder just wondering what outcome will be of my c&p..anything would be helpful.. And thank you sooo much "HADIT " for being there....even at 3 in morning!!!

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Granny, make sure you take with you to your C&P exam any material evidence and show it to the examiner. The examiners are supposed to review everything before but they don't always do it even though they might say they did.

It's really anyone's guess on how your C&P exam will turn out. Just be prepared for about a two hour visit (counting wait time) and being asked a lot of questions about your service.

When you say "solid" stressors do you mean you have your stressors documented? If so and if you have copies of this take them with you to show the examiner.

Never assume the examiner will see all this stuff in your file.

Jerr

Finally got C & P coming up on the 19th. after long time have solid stressors of PTSD,panic attacks, everything else you can think of...been getting SS from day one.for anxiety disorder just wondering what outcome will be of my c&p..anything would be helpful.. And thank you sooo much "HADIT " for being there....even at 3 in morning!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Granny:

Please let us know how you did on C&P. I have Panic Dsorder and SS gave me disability in 4 months and the VA took awhile. Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I just had this C&P last Nov. and I was awarded 50% for PTSD back to I think it was Feb.

I first went off and could not control myself while being interviewed by a rehab counselor she it the one that put in that I had to go to a shrink.

That was in late Jan. had thee meeting and asked me all kinds of question family, early family and then got around to war and stressors. It is very hard to open up to a stranger and cry like a baby in front of him at 60 years old. I have been so alone for so long. At the end of the meeting he looked at me and said "you have PTSD" I said are you sure and he said yes.

Well since then I have been seeing him for 1 meeting a month and to adjust my meds and just talk. In May he got me into the program at the local Vet center. Have a great social worker and heve been going every two weeks. They both told me to file and get it SC and the treatment will be there for me.

I filed actually in Feb. but had not done anything with it I was still having a stigma problem with the DX but I know I need the help.

So the VA asked for my stressors and it was hard took me 3 weeks of talking to myself and them but I got it done finally. Wierd I actually was reliefed or something after writing it down. It waas almost like a heavy weight had been lifted off me or something!

Any how sent it in and the VA verified them and had me go to a C&P the shrink was a PHd and knew his stuff he did exactly like my VA shrink put me at ease we talked about my early family and then we got into service and from their to the stressors. This time I was able to get through it without breaking down. Then it was over less than an hour I was kinda worried but when I got up to leave I asked him if I was going to be Ok and he said you have PTSD and you have had it a long time without treatment so contiue that.

Well that was that I did not have the 3 hour marathons that I have others have so I was a little nervous but I confinced myself that I was getting help so that was good.

He also said he would right it up right then and send it right in.

Well that was Nov. 18th. I had my decision the day after Christmas 50% which only kicked me up 10% to 90% but hey now I am SC and can get all the help I need.

Got the money on Jan 1 (actually dec. 30)

Only thing I feel sorry about I really only thought I would get 30%!? Guess I come across worse than I thought.

Well I hope this helps you and others in someway. As for me and this particular claim I feel the VA did very nice by me.

Good luck on your C&P and just tell the truth and make sure you do something nice for yourself afterward.

God Bless

• HadIt.com Elder

Granny,

Having 100% for chronic anxiety, my advice to you is to be yourself.

If you feel like crying, then do so.

I dressed like I would normally dress for I felt more comfortable being myself.

If the examiner felt I had a disheveled look, well, I guess I did.

I felt lost in a big world and I felt that I was spilling my guts to the world.

Things that I had pushed so far back into my brain and wished to never remember again

came spilling right out of my mouth.

I couldn't hold it back any longer.

This is only my opinion, dress yourself and be yourself.

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have a doctor diagnosis's for the same condition? in writing? VA or civilian, that'd help. If your exam is for mental health, be sure to be familiar with the mental health exam checklist. Years ago I didnt have a clue and was put out after the results were written. I got sc, but way too low for the condition. My struggling VA experience spans - a long time, wow, nearly 15 years overall. Took me near 10 years to change 0% to 30%, few years later IU. Thanks to my Hadit family - I am still amazed!!!!!!!

A long time ago, the first big appointment I had took several hours, I was given several mental tests and evaluated from the time I walked in the door. The written results depressed me even more, the exam was worthless. After I got to Hadit, learned about exam worksheets, then my exams seemed to be more partial to evaluating the diagnosis presented for. Or maybe I was just better prepared.

Last years mh exam (hour) I had was exhausting but worth everything. I stressed for days in advance, talked and talked to my husband, didn't sleep well the night before, - examiner had obviously read my Service Treatment Records (STR) and VA medical records. I presented all the facts that related to my military disability experiences, avoiding anything the first examiner tried to tie to 'childhood' etc. I had typed notes along for support but afterwards nothing but unread dogeared pages.

Maybe something others or I have written will help you succeed in getting whats due you,

Best to ya,

Cowgirl'up!

p.s. For now, I get good VA counseling and meds help as well.

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!