Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Allan/others - Question Re Healthcare Reform

Rate this question

tssnave

Question

Allan (I tried to send you a PM but yours is turned off - please reply in the open forum - thanks),

I read your closed for comment thread on the House healthcare reform and how veterans would be able to choose the new plan:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32467

However, an earlier post on VAWatchdog.org states otherwise:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfnov09/nf110909-1.htm

Could you please tell me how I could easily find out what information is right? I am not a very savvy computer researcher which is why I have to depend on trusted sites like VAwatchdog.org and hadit. When my two vet sites are in contridiction with one another, I get confused and am not sure which one is correct or if one supercedes the other and worse, I am uncertain how to find out the answer to the contridiction.

Please help.

Thanks,

TS Snave

Edited by tssnave

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

TS,

thanks for letting me know my messenger was turned off. I corrected that.

These two links that were in my post may help clear it up.

Read more at American Chronicle

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/128734

http://www.veteranstoday.com/article9390.html

Like VA Watchdog.org, Veterans today also reports information on VA Health care. As well as colonel Dan, Military.com.

There is sometimes conflicting information & hadit.com is a good place to see this since there are so many sources.

I personally couldn't say which is more accurate since these bills are changing daily as they go through congressional committees.

Checking the original sources may clear it up, but it could have all changed since I posted this.

I asked that the post be closed for comment in order to keep the political roar down to a whisper.

My IM is working again if anyone needs to use it.

Allan

Allan,

Thanks for the info. I googled Sec 302(d) and somehow got to the Dept of Energy and saw the same Myths/Facts sheet and it was also on some politicians' webpages. I also understand that nothing is said and done at this point, I was trying to see how the wind is blowing.

I understand about not wanting to get into a political debate, I am right there with you. My hope is that with the caregivers bill looking to include older vets that there is a more vet friendly attitude prevailing right now. I was working my claim when the young vets went to the front of the claims line which I thought was a dangerous way to make it look like things were getting better for veterans when they aren't for the majority of vets who are, like me, older.

I would like to see the final bill allow all veterans to be able to use VA if they want to and have it count as credible coverage as well as allow us to NOT use VA if they don't want to and buy whatever health insurance any other American can buy. For that matter, if a vet wants to use both VA and private insurance (which a lot of vets do now) I would like to see that option remain for us as well. I just get bogged down trying to understand who's on first and who's on second at this point in the healthcare reform debate.

Thanks, as always, for posting links to other vet sites that you trust. I appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,

TS

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• kidva earned a badge
      First Post
    • kidva earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use