Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

? Veterans Affairs Service ?

Rate this question

carlie

Question

I got this in a email today and don't know the validity of it but thought I'd better pass it on.

carlie

Warning from the DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

For your info.

Gordon W Morgan

Subject: Service Officer Alert - "Veterans Affairs Services"

The VA General Counsel has notified us that an organization called "Veterans Affairs Services" appears to be holding itself out as a recognized service organization; it is not a recognized service organization. This organization may be assisting veterans and others to file claims and, in the process, obtain personal information. The GC has asked us to ask you to report any contact you may have had with "Veterans Affairs Service".

If you have any examples of "Veterans Affairs Service" helping veterans or other claimants file claims with VA please call Fred Burns, Assistant Director, at (202) 608-8367. Please be prepared to provide at least the name and telephone number of the veteran when you call Mr. Burns.

The General Counsel message is shown below:

"An organization called Veterans Affairs Services (VAS) is providing benefit and general information on VA and gathering personal information on veterans. This organization is not affiliated with VA in any way.

http://www.vaservices.org/us/index.html

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Their Web Site clearly states that they are not affiliated with the Federal Government. Looks like they are providing good information to active duty personnel. Guess the VA is upset that someone is providing accurate and detailed information verus the VA's 1-800-lietoallvets billion dollar taxpayer ripoff scam run by the VA.

Edited by Ricky

Guest fla_viking

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends

On the web site WWW.VAwatchdog.org. They warn of a phoney vet group like this. I dont know if its the same one but obtaining personal informaton seems to be the goal for them.

You should visit vawatchdog.org. its a good site with lots of VA corrupton informaton and has something new almost every day.

Terry Higgins

I agree Ricky- there is some good info at this site and I dont see anywhere that they are asking any to 'join' and give personal info-

We sure have to be careful-

I am member of MCA (Marine Corps Association) They asked some personal info when I joined but they are legit. Even Gold Star Wives asked personal info too-when I joined them.

I dont see anywhere on this vets site where they are asking for personal or military info.

I just re-read this as I started to question why the VA would send this out-

when I noted this AM Carlie said this was email from the VA-

and it said : "Please be prepared to provide at least the name and telephone number of the veteran when you call Mr. Burns."

THAT is where the scam is I think----------this is not general counsel's number

I called and got a voice mail that answered Fred Burns at that number and a beep-then agai it is saturday-

Doesnt sound like the VA or any fed agency to me- I will call them again Monday- I think "Fred Burns"

could be starting a scam.

The VA NEVER willingly gives out phone numbers and this is NOT SOP VA email -

Carlie -what was the actual email addy on this?

There are people out there who lurk on web sites like hadit to find targets for all sorts of fraud.They focus on veterans and widows of vets because we have on line boards and communities involved in discussing potential monetary VA benefits.

I found nothing at the OGC press releases about this -

I think this email should be queried at the VA web page or better yet-

someone should call General Counsel-1-202-273-6660

Remind me to Monday- can you tell us the actual email addy on this?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

" Carlie -what was the actual email addy on this? "

Berta,

A vet emailed it to me from another site. It originally came like this.

In a message dated 4/12/2006 7:01:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, govtrelations@vva.org writes:

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

Warning from the DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

For your info.

Gordon W Morgan

Subject: Service Officer Alert - "Veterans Affairs Services"

The VA General Counsel has notified us that an organization called "Veterans Affairs Services" appears to be holding itself out as a recognized service organization; it is not a recognized service organization. This organization may be assisting veterans and others to file claims and, in the process, obtain personal information. The GC has asked us to ask you to report any contact you may have had with "Veterans Affairs Service".

If you have any examples of "Veterans Affairs Service" helping veterans or other claimants file claims with VA please call Fred Burns, Assistant Director, at (202) 608-8367. Please be prepared to provide at least the name and telephone number of the veteran when you call Mr. Burns.

The General Counsel message is shown below:

"An organization called Veterans Affairs Services (VAS) is providing benefit and general information on VA and gathering personal information on veterans. This organization is not affiliated with VA in any way.

Like I said I know nothing about it, just to pass it on.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

That is the Vietnam Veterans of America Government Relations email addy-

what I dont get is that the VVA has nothing I can find at all about this issue at their site-

by the way great site-http://www.vva.org/

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

"LOOK-ALIKE" ORGANIZATION SCAMMING VETERANS AND ACTIVE-DUTY --

VETERANS AFFAIRS SERVICES JUST WANTS TO SELL YOU THEIR

FINANCIAL PRODUCTS -- STAY AWAY!

Veterans Affairs Services in NOT part of the VA.

They are not associated with any service organization.

They offer "information" for veterans and active-duty personnel...but, they just want to sell you their financial products.

This is a scam!

The logo looks very official...it isn't!

Stay away from this organization.

Do NOT fill out any forms on their site. Who knows what they will do with your personal information.

Below is an email I received earlier today.

---------------

Please read.

FYI & dissemination.

Karen

Karen M. Myers, U.S. Army Retired

VA/DoD Coordinator

Seamless Transition Program Coordinator

NF/SG Veterans Health System

1601 SW Archer Road (00A3)

Gainesville, FL 32606

PHONE: 352-379-4190

CELL: 352-316-2546

PAGER: 352-380-1353

FAX: 352-374-6116

An organization called Veterans Affairs Services (VAS) is providing benefit and general information on VA and gathering personal information on veterans. This organization is not affiliated with VA in any way.

VAS may be gaining access to military personnel through their close resemblance to the VA name and seal. Our Legal Counsel has requested that we coordinate with DoD to inform military installations, particularly mobilization sites, of this group and their lack of affiliation or endorsement by VA to provide any services.

In addition, GC requests that if you have any examples of VAS acts that violate chapter 59 of Title 38 United States Code, such as VAS employees assisting veterans in the preparation and presentation of claims for benefits, please pass any additional information to Mr. Daugherty at the address below.

Michael.Daugherty2@va.gov

Michael G. Daugherty

Staff Attorney

Department of Veterans Affairs

Office of General Counsel (022G2)

810 Vermont Ave., Room 1106

Washington, D.C. 20420

(202) 273-8636

---------------

Also...a note from Butch Miller, past National Commander of the American Legion.

---------------

FYI- A letter from Butch Miller,

Past National Commander

Just wanted to make you aware of the following Web site from Veterans Affairs Services. http://www.vaservices.org/

This is a private company based in California, that is conducting briefings for Guard and Reserve units in some areas. In addition to providing information about VA and other governmental benefits, their agents market private investments and financial products. A VAMC learned of the group when they made plans to brief a guard unit. The commander said that there had been a guy out the week prior, and he was a bit put off that he was selling stuff to the Guard members.

The Web page has an imbedded disclaimer that they are not the VA, but they are creating confusion in the minds of some as to whether they are agents of VA or not. Their name and seal surely give the impression of linkage to the federal government. They also avoid saying on the Web page that they will be selling financial products.

Although Veterans Affairs Services describes itself as a nonprofit veterans service organization, their agents are members of the Military Financial Planning Association, a for profit association. They state that they are authorized to train active duty, reserve, and national guard units in VA benefits.

---------------

Domain information is below:

---------------

Domain ID:D96729609-LROR

Domain Name:VASERVICES.ORG

Created On:15-Apr-2003 03:09:39 UTC

Last Updated On:17-Aug-2005 02:17:18 UTC

Expiration Date:15-Apr-2008 03:09:39 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar:Register.com Inc. (R71-LROR)

Registrant ID:C32456345-RCOM

Registrant Name:Michael Foster

Registrant Organization:Veterans Affairs Services

Registrant Street1:10487 W Briar Oaks Dr., Suite C

Registrant Street2:

Registrant Street3:

Registrant City:Stanton

Registrant State/Province:CA

Registrant Postal Code:90680

Registrant Country:US

Registrant Phone:+1.7149396220

Registrant Phone Ext.: