Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Hepatitis

Rate this question

LeroyJohnson

Question

I am working on several health issues for a veteran friend of mine and I am hoping someone can answer something for me. She had hepatitis when she was 12, she served 6 years and in her 5th year of service she began to have liver problems. developed jaundice once and several tests came back showing abnormal liver functions. This was back in the 70's she is now having big time problems with her liver.

MY question is since the army accepted her knowing she had had hepatitis as a child and had no problems for the first 5 years of service would it even get off the ground if I filed for the liver for her?

Also her records show that for some reason she began loosing all the enamel from her teeth needed tons of dental work done while in service and still had dental problems when she left military service do you think I should file for dental care or would that be a waste of time. She is not service connected for anything at this time.

thanks Leroy

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hoppy, you may be right I talked to her again and she said there is no record of which kind she had also I found in her SMR that she was given a food handlers certificate there is no way she could have gotten that with hepatitis C or at least I would not think so. She was in service in 1972-1978 she did get jaundice and had several test show abnormal liver functions , is it possible that she got hepatitis C from the guns they used to give shots back then? Boy I think that might be hard to prove if not possible.her records do not show at that time which form of hepatitis she contracted.her private medical records dont show which form she has either as they only go back 10 years .

Leroy,

You need to find out if she had an acute attack of hepatitis or chronic hepatitis. Hepatitis C was not identified until around 1984 until then it was classed as non-a non-b hepatitis. Being that she got it from her father I would think it most likley to be hep A, as hep a is most easily tranmitted where B&C need blood contact, Around 1984 they developed a test for hep B which left them with a third one which was not identified. If what she had was an acute attack she may have developed antibodies and should have no longer been affected by the hepatitis. The chirosis may have been from another source entirely, such as excessive alcohol use, an infection, another kind of hepatitis ect. With the jaundice and abnormal liver function tests in service it sounds like a workable claim to me. I have Chronic hepatitis B and I also have some mild chirosis which my liver doc says is not from the hepatitis. My recomendation is finding out what hepatitis she has and if she is chronic or was just exposed to it. Good luck and I hope her claim works out.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I am beginning to think she did have hep A as a child and hep C in service she has sever liver problems right now and it is believed that they are being caused by hep C.This is according to private doctor records. she is a non drinker and she denies ever using or experimenting with drugs. I personally have never seen her drink anything stronger than tea. She has gone to the same doctor since getting out of the army but unfortunately for her he has only kept her records back 10 years. She has told me that he has been treating her for liver and some related problems since she was discharged. She also states that her father was deathly ill with hepatitis but that she really wasn't aware that she had it at all.

Leroy

• HadIt.com Elder

Leroy,

I have been away from the computer for about a week. It sounds like you are getting good advice and are getting focused. In the days I was reading BVA cases I found many cases where historical evidence was nothing more than a bunch of lay opinions. That is why I suggested you cover all the bases.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

Guest elizabeth
I am working on several health issues for a veteran friend of mine and I am hoping someone can answer something for me. She had hepatitis when she was 12, she served 6 years and in her 5th year of service she began to have liver problems. developed jaundice once and several tests came back showing abnormal liver functions. This was back in the 70's she is now having big time problems with her liver.

MY question is since the army accepted her knowing she had had hepatitis as a child and had no problems for the first 5 years of service would it even get off the ground if I filed for the liver for her?

Also her records show that for some reason she began loosing all the enamel from her teeth needed tons of dental work done while in service and still had dental problems when she left military service do you think I should file for dental care or would that be a waste of time. She is not service connected for anything at this time.

thanks Leroy

if she could hepatitis at age 12 she would be sc because she can prove the service made her condition worse she will be sc check federal laws for hepatitis just go to web page section 38 hepatitis and dental open a claim under the federal law that applies to her case Elizabeth

Guest elizabeth

Also her records show that for some reason she began loosing all the enamel from her teeth needed tons of dental work done while in service and still had dental problems when she left military service do you think I should file for dental care or would that be a waste of time. She is not service connected for anything at this i agree with Barta the dental problems may be connected i think celice or celice-spruce this condition is also the cause for enamel to change plus this celice is hereditarty i do not think hepatitis is if celice would be the cause 100% would apply for the service missed it look up celice and celice-spruce i have a strong feeling she is a celice Elizabeth