Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Hope I Do Not Offend Anyone

Rate this question

HvyGns38

Question

I live in the Northern Virginia area outside of DC where the cost of living is a bit high. I have been looking at the pay charts for SC'd disability at 100% and being TDIU. How do you ladies and gentleman get by on this compensation and not being able to work?

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm totally Service Connected Disabled and NEVER collected a Penny and only collect SSDI for the years I worked. Try doing soup kitchens and church food panties hell asking for change now and then works too --Do what ya got to do!

Alabama here I come!!!!!! Are they hiring teachers?

Seriously, I feel very fortunate for what I have and the VA has been, so far, pretty fair to me. Living where I do I just could not get by with only what the VA would pay me.

Thanks for the replies!!!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
I'm totally Service Connected Disabled and NEVER collected a Penny and only collect SSDI for the years I worked. Try doing soup kitchens and church food panties hell asking for change now and then works too --Do what ya got to do!

??? :huh: B) :lol:

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
Alabama here I come!!!!!! Are they hiring teachers?

Seriously, I feel very fortunate for what I have and the VA has been, so far, pretty fair to me. Living where I do I just could not get by with only what the VA would pay me.

Thanks for the replies!!!

I went to my daughter's school orientation at the beginning of the year and they complained constantly about proration (i.e. govt budget shortfall impact on education budgets at all levels). Education funding here is based on sales tax, which is way down. Never thought I would see a school ask for toilet paper donations.

Anyhow, if you're making 60k a year, like testvet, you can get a pretty decent house if you don't mind living about 10 or 15 minutes away from a big city.

The VA has been good to me too, but only so after I got SC. I still walk into the hospital lobby and see folks who look like they have sat there for a week.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey if you get SSD and 100% from the VA that is usually over $4000 a month. You can use VA loan to buy a house. The more rural the area the cheaper the house. The deep south and midwest are probably the cheapest places to live. Florida used to be cheap but no longer.