• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Organizing Records

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hello everyone,

I have copies of my service medical records, (most of my) private treatment records, and what I believe to be all of my VA treatment records. I am trying to sort these things out as effectively as possible.

Suggestions welcomed! If someone has a better system, please share it!

- Create separate folders/binders for each condition (back, foot, etc...)

- Separate administrative items (shipping receipts, etc...) from actual treatment records

- Copy pages with multiple conditions and file an individual copy in each folder

- Check the back of every page and copy pages with multiple conditions and file an individual copy in each folder

- Anything (non-lab) that does not fit into a particular folder goes into a 'misc' folder

- Anything lab that does not fit into a particular folder goes into a 'misc lab' folder

- Entrance and ETS physicals go into their own folder

- Sort each page in every folder

- Build an inventory sheet for every folder to be kept in each folder (and also kept in a master inventory folder)

- Alphabetize each folder (keeping medical separated from non-medical)

- Use color-coded tabs

- Use colored highlighters

- Make separate note sheet to look up symbols and terms that I do not understand.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You can use that method, or just organize things in chronological order. (by date, earliest first)

I also like to organize further, into groups, such as:

1. Medical exams by date order, or, by condition, such as leg, depression, etc.

2. VARO decisions and VCAA letters

3. 21-4138's or other correspondence you sent to the VA in chrono order.

4. IRIS emails

5. Perscription drugs (you can get these records from myhealthyvet

6. BVA appeals.

7. NOD's

8. Correspondence you sent thru VSO

9. Copies of your initial application including DD214.

10. Comp and Pen Exams

11. Phone records..if you called VA, write down date, time, and what they said, etc.

12. Case law. Cases that you have seen that u think are applicable to you. (Bell-Derwinski, etc)

13. BVA appeals

14. Cavc appeals, if applicable.

15. SMR

16. Letters from VA other than decisions or VCAA.

17. Blank VA forms, such as 21-4138's.

18. IMO's or IME's

19. Misc that does not go into any of the above.

20 Misc notes you make to yourself, such as referring to a particular hadit post or watchdog article.

• HadIt.com Elder

Take a look at my website. Something in there could probably aid you.

The one thing you want to remember is "Keep it Simple!"

If you get too complicated then you could lose track of where goes with what and get discouraged with so much filing and sorting.

I've done both complex and very simple and have found a little above simple is most effective.

Something else to keep in mind is keeping the papers in a simple folder form but noting in a table of contents via a notebook or the computer info that covers individual disabilities. It allows you to file quickly but keep track if you have records for the disability.

Example:

Diabetes

Dr. WhatisName 1976 - 1999

Livegood Hospital 2001 - 2010

Military Records 1965 - 1966

Dr. GoodNews 1964 - 1967

As you need info on that specific disability, you can refer to your TofC and then go to the file and pull any necessary documents.

Anyway, hope this helps.

fanaticbooks

Edited by fanaticbooks

GREAT ideas here for everyone-

There is nothing more frustrating than spending time looking for something that could be placed in a tabbed manila folder.

VYNC said

"Build an inventory sheet for every folder to be kept in each folder (and also kept in a master inventory folder"

And this is a GREAT idea!

I try to stay organized but then things can get out of hand and sometimes I end up looking for something- but forget what the heck I was looking for yet I continue to diligently search for it-whatever it was-

so I don't waste time. :rolleyes:

Keeping the VA crapola in order however can sure eliminate stress.

I also have separate folder with a plastic baggie in it that contains all my USPS proof of mailing slips

and another folder for a 800# log to include Iris responses.

Good Point Berta

Also make a seperate folder for:

1. Post Office Receipts, and returned mail cards for stuff you sent to the VA, making a note of what it was you sent.

2. Copies of resubmitted evidence that the VA lost or shredded, often it is shredded multiple times, even with post office proof of mailing. Shredding is so widespread, that it is not a question of if evidence was shredded, but rather, how much evidence did the RO shred, and was the shredded evidence probative. Do any Veterans disagree with this last sentence?

• HadIt.com Elder

Great topic and experienced lessons. Sure helps to get organized, simple or elaborate, whatever works for the vet - just recall medical opinions and paper is what wins claims. For some, paper copies in shoeboxes are better than nothing ~ !

Just a few things I do.

I use binders and file paper copies of VA decisions in plastic sheet protectors for easy access.(easy to copy too) costs a little, but works for me.

I learn to make paper copies of IRIS replies asap and file with the 'claimed item' for backup.(missed one few years back,ow!)

About quarterly I request paper copies of my VA medical records to read, reread and file. (found just a few mistakes)

A few months after claim decisions I request a paper copy of my Cfile to (yup) read, reread, reread and file and reread.

Did I mention Paper? ;)

Best to y'all,

Cg