Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Raise?

Rate this question

luvHIM

Question

Is there a raise this year? Was talking with someone who is a recent separation from Army and it was suggested that a raise is in the works this year...just wondering.

Happy New Year!

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thats right. We cant call them Co** anymore, we will have to use "Diet Dr. Pepper" instead of Col*. Anyway, Veterans do not get "Diet Dr. Peppers" or any other type of soda that indicate a raise in pay, because the people that figure out Diet Dr. Pepper raises use a CPI-W formula that they have manipulated which has resulted in raises for VA executives, raises for the military, increases in medicare/medicaid copayments, raises in the Va budget, and raises for wall street executives, but nothing for Veterans.

:angry: ...had to read it twice

Thats right. We cant call them Co** anymore, we will have to use "Diet Dr. Pepper" instead of Col*. Anyway, Veterans do not get "Diet Dr. Peppers" or any other type of soda that indicate a raise in pay, because the people that figure out Diet Dr. Pepper raises use a CPI-W formula that they have manipulated which has resulted in raises for VA executives, raises for the military, increases in medicare/medicaid copayments, raises in the Va budget, and raises for wall street executives, but nothing for Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

Luvhim,

I see it now. Wasn't trying to be a jerk but giving you a heads up.

"Diet Dr. Peppers" are OK with me.

For those of us who still live below the poverty level & struggle every day just to keep food on the table & medical bills payed, "Diet Dr. Peppers" are a must.

Since the gap between haves & have nots is so fast, maybe a larger Diet Dr. Pepper could be given to the have nots. Seems this would be a shot in the economic arm.

As far as having vets pick cans up out of the streets, why not just turn your back on them & give them a tin cup for collections at separation, instead of telling them their entitled to earned benefits.

Go pick up cans? What an insult to all veterans and an eye opener to those now serving in uniform. How comforting to their widows & children.

• HadIt.com Elder
Luvhim,

I see it now. Wasn't trying to be a jerk but giving you a heads up.

"Diet Dr. Peppers" are OK with me.

For those of us who still live below the poverty level & struggle every day just to keep food on the table & medical bills payed, "Diet Dr. Peppers" are a must.

Since the gap between haves & have nots is so fast, maybe a larger Diet Dr. Pepper could be given to the have nots. Seems this would be a shot in the economic arm.

As far as having vets pick cans up out of the streets, why not just turn your back on them & give them a tin cup for collections at separation, instead of telling them their entitled to earned benefits.

Go pick up cans? What an insult to all veterans and an eye opener to those now serving in uniform. How comforting to their widows & children.

Allan, I recommend you apologize to Philip. I know that it is outrageous that disabled veterans are not going to be granted a Cost of Living Adjustment this year. We all know this is not likely to change because Congress has already made this decision. Accordingly, all families who are receiving benefits from the U.S. government from the Department of Veterans Affairs and/or Social Security Disability must find ways to stretch our dollars and extend our income. Philip's suggestion was one idea of how to expand the income to meet the rising cost of living. I now make a few suggestions along the same line. Cancel all magazine and newspaper subscriptions, stop buying books and request any book you want to read from the library on interlibrary loan. Serve more soups, stews, and chilis. Check your produce drawers frequently and when vegetables are getting old trim and wash them well and use them in soups. Also serve more pasta and rice dishes. Drive your vehicle less. Eat out less and when you do eat out order a less expensive entree and drink water with your meal. When my husband and I go out for Chinese we order one entree and get extra rice so we can split the entree. When we eat Mexican food we order one entree with rice and beans and get an order of tortillas so that we can make rice and bean tacos and split the entree. If you can afford higher deductibles on your car for collision and comprehensive coverage raise your deductibles to lower your premium but make sure you have enough money in savings to cover the deductibles. Use less services. Examples: Have a friend or family member cut your hair and do your nails. Do your own oil changes and tuneups on your car. Buy some green bags to keep produce in your refrigerator fresh longer. Keep your fruit and vegetables on separate shelves in the refrigerator because one of these produces nitrogen gas. Keep the tires on your car inflated at the proper pressure to prolong tire life. I learned recently that there is a gizmo you can put on your car that will show your fuel consumption in miles per gallon as you are driving. Accelerate less and brake less to improve your mileage on your vehicle. Anyone else have any more ideas along these lines?

• HadIt.com Elder
I know that it is outrageous that disabled veterans are not going to be granted a Cost of Living Adjustment this year. We all know this is not likely to change because Congress has already made this decision. Accordingly, all families who are receiving benefits from the U.S. government from the Department of Veterans Affairs and/or Social Security Disability must find ways to stretch our dollars and extend our income. Philip's suggestion was one idea of how to expand the income to meet the rising cost of living. I now make a few suggestions along the same line. Cancel all magazine and newspaper subscriptions, stop buying books and request any book you want to read from the library on interlibrary loan. Serve more soups, stews, and chilis. Check your produce drawers frequently and when vegetables are getting old trim and wash them well and use them in soups. Also serve more pasta and rice dishes. Drive your vehicle less. Eat out less and when you do eat out order a less expensive entree and drink water with your meal. When my husband and I go out for Chinese we order one entree and get extra rice so we can split the entree. When we eat Mexican food we order one entree with rice and beans and get an order of tortillas so that we can make rice and bean tacos and split the entree. If you can afford higher deductibles on your car for collision and comprehensive coverage raise your deductibles to lower your premium but make sure you have enough money in savings to cover the deductibles. Use less services. Examples: Have a friend or family member cut your hair and do your nails. Do your own oil changes and tuneups on your car. Buy some green bags to keep produce in your refrigerator fresh longer. Keep your fruit and vegetables on separate shelves in the refrigerator because one of these produces nitrogen gas. Keep the tires on your car inflated at the proper pressure to prolong tire life. I learned recently that there is a gizmo you can put on your car that will show your fuel consumption in miles per gallon as you are driving. Accelerate less and brake less to improve your mileage on your vehicle. Anyone else have any more ideas along these lines?

x

x

x

Great Suggestions Delta! Survival is our game!

Cancelled AT&T long distance service, signed up for a 1-800 long distance calling plan and save about $500.00 year. Buy groceriies in bulk. Oatmeal, Rice, Cereal. Use less detergent and use warm water for washing, rather than hot. Lower the temperature on the water heater. Carpool the kids to school or bus stop. Pine Cones make great kindling. Recycle. Support the Public Library. Turn the Heat down to 55 for sleep. Thrift stores. Thermos for hot coffee, just say no Starbucks. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Well,

I'll apologize to you Philip, But I don't see where you posted we should pick up cans. I know someone did, just don't remember who.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to live frugal delta.

You forgot the ones about skipping vegetables altogether and going without food when you can.

Not all of us run to the food bank or food stamp office. Many just do with less.

I already know how to eat unhealthy. Pasta & white rice are good ones to start with.

We haven't started picking through the restaurant trash, but I suppose us vets should keep that in mind also.

Yes, poor people should be reminded that they may be getting sick by not eating healthy. I agree.

News flash: Some disabled people can't perform maintenance on their vehicles. Nor are they able to walk the streets & bind over to pick up cans or shovel their drives.

My mother is 85 yrs old. I can tell you now she's not able to jump on the, do it for your country bandwagon.

We are talking about Seniors, those who are disabled & disabled veterans who have all earned some kind of benefit.

Do you see wall street going without & picking up cans?

Do you honestly want your 85 yr old mother suffering with such spinal pain just to keep in veggies for the month?

Those of us who live poor have already been doing what you suggest & could write books on it.

I don't go anywhere out to dinner unless i'm taken out, so i'm not able to ask for the dogie bag for vets.

I have dial up so when I research for vets, I may spend hours, sometimes getting kicked off line & having to start all over again.

All & all I hear what your saying. And that is I'm SOL & have no right to complain or any place that would listen anyway.

I don't see why seniors, the disabled & veterans should not be allowed to petition congress to change this situation, nor why we don't rate any support other than, "SUCK IT UP".