• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearings To Cut Ssd From Va Comp

Rate this question

Guest fla_viking

Question

Guest fla_viking

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends.

According to VA Watchdog.com the disabity review commision chairman is pushing hard to hold reviews if veterans who recive VA comp should also get SSD. It is reported the chairman has asked congress to lend great latitude in its interpitaton of the commision charter. The chairman is pushing for a secrete vote by its members to do this.

It was noted the courts interpit the laws and is illegal for congress to do so. Further more there is not authority for this commison to undertake such a task.

Veterans could see some real dirty dealing out of this one and loose there SSD.

Also according to VA Watchdog. OTC is getting millions of $$$$$ to continue on with doing veterans examinatons. OTC was suied because of its blatant cut off of civilan benifits without any justificaton and they lost in lawsuits which proved they were arbitrary and caprousous in there cutting of benifits.

Terry Higgins

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Is this something we should be writing to our local "letters to the editor" about, not just senators and such? I mean, of course we want to write to the people making the decisions, but if we let the general public know, especially with a war going on, and the fact that it might be *their* brother or son or father that might be screwed later by this, we might have some luck.

If we need to write to papers or anything, let me know, I'll do so.

Shalia,

I would encourage you to contact all lawmakers at all levels, and write to the letter to the editor. We must have a voice on this issue. We cannot merely talk about it we must act. Thank you for wanting to make a differance. God bless you.

Bound4Heaven

Here is Arthur Wilson's response-

"In a recent editorial written by Arthur H. Wilson, National Adjutant for the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) we find: “Optimism was in short supply at the Commission’s March 16-17 meeting as some of its members maneuvered to authorize collecting data about Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits paid to veterans who also receive VA disability compensation. That was done with a view toward an offset [reduction] of disability insurance if the veteran receives disability compensation from the VA.”

Wilson continues: “A move to sidestep proper procedures and hold a secret ballot on the matter was postponed, but the issue is expected to resurface at the commission’s meeting in May. If so, it could lay the groundwork for cutting or eliminating veterans’ benefits as a way of saving the government money. The idea that disability compensation is some kind of income security or welfare program cheapens the service and sacrifice of disabled veterans. That kind of thinking might also open the door to cutting off VA compensation when a disabled veteran becomes eligible for Social Security retirement benefits. Veterans’ benefits are separate and distinct from Social Security, so receiving payments under both programs is not dual compensation for the same disability, as some have tried to argue.”

The DAV -although I gripe abut their NSO program- is certainly willing to take stands on issues like this-

in their comments on the 2006 budget at their website- they predicted in 2005 that this could become an issue which they would 'vigorously 'oppose.

The VA Watch Dog article certainly points out that General Scott is attempting to get Congress to "unconstitutionally" interpret their own laws. This cannot be done.

Scott might be a General but it sounds to me like he is just a 90 day wonder in the field of VA compensation, SSA disability, and also the laws we have to prohibit discrimination against the disabled.

(maybe he should read the Constitution too)

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the DAV along with the other service organizations should be trying to get veterans out in the street on this one. I just saw a bumper sticker "Veterans for Bush" and I nearly threw up. We are in the middle of a long term war on terrorism and GWB is trying to find ways to cut compensation to totally disabled veterans. What next?

GReetings to all,

I sent a copy of this article to the Director Of Veterans Affairs Office and this was their reply below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. God bless you all.

Bound4Heaven

Discussion Thread

Response (Department of Veterans Affairs) 04/25/2006 12:22 PM

Thank you for your recent Iris Inquiry compliment. We appreciate your passing on the article "Push to cut VA Benefits". We at the Department of Veterans very much support our veterans and encourage them to apply for all the benefits that they are eligible to receive.

Thank you again for your service to our nation and your vigilant support for all veterans.

Sincerely,

Veterans Service Center Manager