• donate-be-a-hero.png

Okay, I Am An Idiot...........

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

LOOK, PEOPLE! :)

Some of you make it absolutely marvelous to help you! :D

1. WOW, some of you even write in complete, understandable sentences.

2. And, most of you even use punctuation.

3. And know to CAPITALIZE the FIRST letter of your NEW sentence.

4. And, you try really really hard to put things in order of their occurence, you know, like "this happened on 10/10/82 and then I did this on 12/03/83".

5. And, then, when you cannot make us to understand what you are trying to get across to us, and we ask you for more detail, you really deliver the goods, so to speak!

And, when necessary, you always attempt to provide us with ALL the necessary information to enable us to assist you.

Thank you for your time.

LarryJ :D

Edited by LarryJ

• Answers 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I'm with Larry. Spelling errors are one thing, but it is hard to beleive that people do not understand that a sentence begins with a capital letter, but can still type, and work a computer, navigating to this website, logging in, etc. I know several people who don't capitalize or use punctuation, NOT because they are not educated, but because they are lazy. It takes almost no time to use punctuation, and makes it much easier for people to understand what they are asking in order to help them.

In the past, I have seen some people avoid punctuation but can pronounce and spell some complex words and are incredibly articulate.

I will help people who poorly punctuate sentences because they are uneducated..I have no problem with that. However, when I see that people have a rather astute vocabulary, and still insist on "texting", that is, without capitals and periods, I am unlikely to put forth much effort in helping them.

Thank you.

Perhaps I was a trifle hard. :)

But, darn it people, I'm NOT totally uneducated, and I TRY HARD to NOT appear uneducated.

But, I'm NOT a "Tween" and I'm not sending text messages to my GF's on here!

I'm speaking/typing to an ADULT audience (I think)!

But, as jbasser pointed out.......................I shouldn't have "gone there" in the first place.

By-the-way, the "person" that dropped by my house to leave me some of the most terribly "composed" verbal arguments that they wanted me to make sure the VA received, was not someone that anyone here knows. They are NOT a regular participant of The Hadit website, although this is where they originally got the info to contact me.

Oh, yes, did you know that most passwords are case-sensitive? that means that Password is different than password, and wont be accepted by the computer. Some password policies insist that pAssWoRds have a mix of upper and lower case letters and the computer will not accept any letter not in the right case. I have people all the time who call me and tell me their password wont work, only to find out their CAPS LOCK was on.

If they can navigate the computer, and log on to websites, etc., they usually understand what a capital letter is, and how it is used.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ok, pardon me my slip is showing. Sometimes I use the old cellphone, text lingo, little to no punctuation, but honest I mean well. There are times when a struggling vet (including myself) has tried to write, rewrite a question to make sense of it before hitting the send button. Then, edit, edit and hope not to erase the whole shabang.

I defer to the person who says pardon the spelling and grammar but they want to get a question or advice posted. Guess it depends the on the mood, level of frustration and attempt to make sense of often senseless VA shananigans.

Thanks for keeping quality checks up LarryJ, jolted me like a cup of camp coffee - shazam!

Cg'up!

I'm with Larry. Spelling errors are one thing, but it is hard to beleive that people do not understand that a sentence begins with a capital letter, but can still type, and work a computer, navigating to this website, logging in, etc. I know several people who don't capitalize or use punctuation, NOT because they are not educated, but because they are lazy. It takes almost no time to use punctuation, and makes it much easier for people to understand what they are asking in order to help them.

In the past, I have seen some people avoid punctuation but can pronounce and spell some complex words and are incredibly articulate.

I will help people who poorly punctuate sentences because they are uneducated..I have no problem with that. However, when I see that people have a rather astute vocabulary, and still insist on "texting", that is, without capitals and periods, I am unlikely to put forth much effort in helping them.

This is just "informal" discussion. Caps or not, no biggie to me.

Jerr

If they can navigate the computer, and log on to websites, etc., they usually understand what a capital letter is, and how it is used.

That is scary Larry. Who in the heck would want to contact you off a site like this that isn't even a member?

Jerr

They are NOT a regular participant of The Hadit website, although this is where they originally got the info to contact me.

I know and feel your pain Larry, however, this is the same pain, if not worse, many Vets feel from the VA. I am sorry someone felt the need to drop by your home, to me that's not cool or professional. Somehow, this makes me think its someone you know, and in my professional opinion, it would be best served by telling them, or even showing them the error in their ways. Education doesn't only take place in school. I LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY. When you stop learning you stop living. You keep serving, you are a good dude with great incite, this is why this room needs you and your service...Thanks, Larry...

Edited by myround0