Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Me Or Is This Nuts.

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

A letter telling me to come in for a C & P to see if my condition of my original SC problem has improved.

So let me get this straight. I got rated SC in 1984 for chronic metatarsal pain in my left foot. Every couple of years I'd get called in for a review C & P - once they reduced it to 0% but I appealed and got the 10% reinstated. My last condition status evaluation was in 1993.

I've been favoring my left foot for 20+ years, and over the past few have developed problems with my right foot and knee. I finally filed a claim last spring, asking for increase & right foot & knee as secondaries. Got my C&P last month.

So now they're going to evaluate the condition I was rated for over 25 years ago? Why don't the twits just look at the report from the C&P last month?

I don't get it.

B)

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Carlie,

Thank you for clarifying the 10/20 year protection rules. I knew I was close, but wasn't completely sure about the specifics. That info really is very handy!

Hegdey,

When you receive medication refills, they will include a description of the side effects and interactions. You can try to find out which medication may be causing specific side effect starting there and can even look on the web at www.drugs.com. Also, you can talk with any pharmacist. Also, the prescribing doctor should also be able to address your concerns.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

is your ptsd service connected yet?

Thanks for the recommendation, John. I've got the name of a private Podiatrist in front of me and will be making an appointment today.

I was upset about this at first, but I've decided to take it as an opportunity. The C & P examiner I saw last month noted that I can walk 1/4 mile without trouble... I think she really wasn't listening. I'll make an absolute point about clearing that up. Plus, I'll be ready for the questions. I wasn't expecting the question about side effects from the medication, and my poor mind went completely blank. I'm taking gabepentin and I'm sure some of the weirdness I'm dealing with is from that, but I'm also taking 3 other drugs for my PTSD. How should I know which drug is causing which side effect?

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

The VA can request an exam at any time for any reason they so choose. Just FYI.

The are probably doing an evaluation since the foot and the knee are very intertwined with one-another. I see your exam coming up as a precursor to what they will do with the secondary condition. Just make sure you tell the examiner exactly how your bad foot is affecting your knee. Don't sweat this exam too much, just be prepared just like any other exam and DO NOT miss it.

Jerr

I did not know they could request a C&P out of the blue, unless you request one first. I'm still kind of new here...

Also, to me, it sounds like a pretty stupid idea for the VA to be allocating resources to go back and re-evaluate people when they have such a large number of outstanding claims.

Some of the elders here probably have more to say about your situation.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I remember when I got my first letter regarding a C&P exam. I excitedly opened the envelope to find out that they were scolding me for missing my C&P exam. Kind of nice when there is a C&P exam for you, but you don't know about it. It took a while to get another scheduled...

Then again, that was over 10 years ago. Hopefully things have improved.

Lately, I have seen a change. About one to two weeks prior to my appointment, I get a reminder letter in the mail. About four or five days prior to any of my appointments, I get a robocall selling me the date and time of the appointment. A day before, one of the desk clerks calls me to verify I can make it. The only ones which are iffy are the dental appointments, because they still use the big scheduling book to manage their appointments. I am lucky to even get a letter or a call. It will be interesting to see what happens when/if I get another C&P exam.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

C&P letters come from the VARO, so they can still screw it up. The same thing has happened to me over the years with the VA not telling me about Exams and then blaming me for not showing up. It has happened to me twice.

• HadIt.com Elder

It's not like I'm replying to myself I hope. Seeing the 10% rating Posted over there at the left<<< seems like you may be due other service connected disabilities. Do you have a copy if your VA medical file and Claims file. (*note: not the best time to request a copy of your C-File if a claim is in work-just don't forget it for rereading & your file

is your ptsd service connected yet?

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!