Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression

Rate this question

ScottCGAS

Question

I have been having problems with getting angry or short with people. I researched some posts, and there was a link in an ad to a Depression Self Help Test and the results said I was moderately depressed. Can constant back pain and always snorting and sniffing and waking up congested, lead to depression or work on your mind. Other people have said constant pain has lead to anxiety or depression. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Chronic pain absolutly is a contributing factor for depression. I have a 50% rating for depression due to daily chronic headaces (service connected). A VA shrink asked me to tell him about my depression and I asked him "what would you like to know about? The days I wake up bawling or the days I could care less if I take another breath?" Hurt every day and the depression can be overwhelming at times.

What would be the process for getting the claim started or getting my ducks in a row. I mentioned a few things to my PrimaryCare Team nurse and she said everybody has some kind of problems with things they saw in the service. On top of the constant pain and ailments I have become hard to live with. Glad I have a understanding wife.

I don't even know the process of seeking help to see what is wrong?? Who do you talk to at the VA or do I just file a claim?

On top of the constant pain and ailments I have become hard to live with. Glad I have a understanding wife.

I don't even know the process of seeking help to see what is wrong?? Who do you talk to at the VA or do I just file a claim?

Sounds like you're fortunate in your choice of wife! B)

Getting help and filing a claim are two different things. Do both. Get that claim in asap. Send that to your VARO.

For treatment of depression, start with your primary care doctor. Tell him/her what you told us, "getting hard to live with" that sort of thing, and say you'd want some help. He/she should give you a referral.

Edited by Jayg

I am in the same situation. I asked my Primary Care Phy for a referal and was given one. I don't know if telling about your previous depression after your loss will help or hurt your case. The most important thing to do is get it documented by A Psych Doctor and ask them to put in a GAF score (helps define how depressed you are and may or not be usedby rater).

Do you have sleep apnia? If so you can use your sinus problems for a claim on this. Just ask your PCP for a consult for sleep apnia.

Good luck.

If I am using the Missouri Veterans Commission to handle my claims now, do I use them to file a new claim?? Jayg said to send it to the VARO, do I not use the MO Vet? I don't think I have sleep apnea. I just get really congested when I lay flat, right sinus will fill with liquid and will have to try and snort it clear and I know that it must be extremely annoying.

These conditions that I have, have been annoying me for over 20 yrs.. I guess the constant pain and things that I have seen in the service has not helped my situation. Thanks

If you are using a VSO for claims issues then I would use them

with all claims issues BUT I personally don't use

VSO's anymore for anything.

Ultimately all claimants are responsible for their claims.

jmho,

carlie