Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression

Rate this question

ScottCGAS

Question

I have been having problems with getting angry or short with people. I researched some posts, and there was a link in an ad to a Depression Self Help Test and the results said I was moderately depressed. Can constant back pain and always snorting and sniffing and waking up congested, lead to depression or work on your mind. Other people have said constant pain has lead to anxiety or depression. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Went to my app't at the VAMC in Fayetteville,AR.. The Neurosurgeon and I looked at my MRI and he said I had foraminal narrowing at L4/L5, a bulging disc, arthritis at same location, and other medical stuff. I did not get the actual report from Patient Records because he did not finish up until 5:05PM and most offices were closed. He said he wants to put me on a drug

called Tramodol and Prilosec. I will have to see if it is allowed for my job. I have to pass a DOT drug screen for truckdriving. He also confirmed the pain I was experiencing was consistant with the MRI. He said to put off surgery until the pain radiates down my leg further, said the surgery is major and would require a fusion with screws and a rod.

Told him I was going to mental health for treatment and wanted to know the meds. He said with the chronic pain it can cause depression. Hopefully the pain will get managed and the depression under control. Will go to mental health at the end of the month. :)

Doctors who say that they are afraid to write nexuses, of what are they afraid? My doctor has written at least 10 for me and my friend and another two doctors have written about 10 more for my two other friends. After they are submitted to the VA, how many of those doctors have been contacted by the VA. None. Once a doctor writes your nexus, that's it, their involvement is over, but trying to convey that to some doctors is very difficult.

A doctor may not write a nexus unless they know the process and have the knowledge about the process the condition, and your condition. The VA will not accept a nexus from a doctor that does not specialize in the field or medicine that the nexus is for. Their specialty needs to be the knowledge and experience of the nexus condition. Any doctor could write a nexus, but it will not carry weight with the VA unless that doctor has the professional credentials and knowledge for the condition.

These doctors usually do nexus work fro insuanrce companies, and not for private individuals. But, some wil do the IMO/IME for a high fee. You need to bring that doctor all of your records and info. They may examine you. They may charge per inch of papers (records).

I wish it were as easy as some people suggest. It maybe for some people, but for others, the condition maybe complicated, hard to find a doctor for many reasons. Like the condition for which the nexus is needed. The fee, whatever it costs, can be negotiated. But, in the end, it is up to the patient to decide.

I have sumbitted a nexus from an IMO, and am still awaiting the decision from the VA appeal. It is a long and difficult process. You just don't know anything until you get the responses. having a VSO is of immense help. Especially being very sick and very difficult to think.

I posted a comment (in the IMO section) on how I found place that specializes in finding doctors who write the Nexus letters. You contact that agency (free) they help find a doctor for you. The doctor (if they find one..) will tell you what they need from you.

Good Luck..

:)

You tell them your situation, they try to find a doctor that meets your needs.

Edited by retiredat44

Just an update. I have received letters from the VA that they are working on my claim for Chronic Pain, Depression, DDD for an increase, and ED. I have referred to the dates of my visits to the VAMC for my substantiating the claim and records from my own Dr. and Neurosurgeon. I hope to get a C&P exam schduled in the future.

Sorry for being away from hadit.com for such a long time but work has been demanding, I am not as fast as some of the young guys and to make the same money as them I have to work 6-7 days to there 5 days!

Scott

Thanks all at hadit.com

I just received the notes to my C&P exam for ED and depression secondary to DDD and sinusitis. The Nurse Practitioner said that he could not make a definite cause and that any answer would be pure speculation. I can see now that this one will be a fight. The Depression C&P was done by a Psychiatrist and in his report he opined that my depression was due to DDD chronic pain and constant sinusitus problems that I am having. He stated that my score of 60GAF was determined by tests. I hope that the final result will be in my favor, it has been hell. Neurosurgeon said that Veteran definitely has back surgery in his future. He put that in his report. As of today I have a sinus infection. This I believe is the 4th one this year. I have to call my Primary Care Team to see if they can send out some anti-biotics. I am set up for another CT scan 9/29/10 and a blood test, before getting consult with ENT in Little Rock,AR..

To get an increase from 10% to 20% for sinusitis, I have read that there has to be crusting in the nose and infection. Most of mine runs down my throat and occasionally in my nose. How would I get an increase if the PCT did not note crusting in there notes??

Hopefully someone can help me with the sinusitus questions..

Thanks to all at hadit.com, Scott

• HadIt.com Elder

I would really work on getting the highest rating possible for the depression because I have DDD and driving all day would kill me. It is probably the worst thing for a bad back I can imagine. Just sitting in my easy chair bothers my back. The back surgery idea is one of those things that the doctors promise much and deliver little. Your back may be worse in terms of pain after the surgery. I would try to get the back problem rated higher as well. This is a long term project to either get IU or get vocational rehabilitation to get you out of that truck. The medical world cannnot give you a new back.