Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Personnel Records And Medical Records

Rate this question

ScottCGAS

Question

I was using a search engine to search CG veterans info and I saw The National Archives.gov to get copies of your personnel records. Is this necessary or is your health records the ones you need? Do most people here on this site have both??

If I need both, what would be the advantage and possibly a scenario where it would be beneficial. According to the NatArch site you will not be given all the content of Service Records, just important stuff, no leave records, clothing issues,ID card applications, etc... Thanks

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

i had to request my military records from npr last year, it took some time and i received a letter that the navy had transferred the records to a different place and they had forward the request awhile longer and i received my smrs on a cd.

My health records were lost in service back in '80 and hadn't been seen since at the time I filed for benefits and I only had copies of my first hitch. My injury occured in the 2nd, 'natcherly.' :rolleyes:

So I kept submitting for my records time and again until one day the missing records materialized in my mail box. As far as I know, I still have the only copy extant.

So by all means you can do a repeat request. I think I will do the asame again myself. I recently realized I don't have everything from my first hitch either. Much of my care at Ft. Knox was at a local 'clinic' and I only got records generated from the main hospital, nothing from the clinics, and those should include a blow to the head.

LarryJ, what are the SMT records ( didn't see the acronym listed on hadit chart ). On the downloaded form under Section II, #2 purpose, what should I check? Personal? Sorry, but I don't mean to get to technical, I just hate to send up red flags if any!

Thanks

Berta brings up a good point. The VA says "your records were lost in (the 1973 fire)"...isnt it amazing that a 1973 fire can burn up records which did not even exist in 1973? And the VA wonders why Veterans do not trust the VA?

I dont know about you guys, but I grew up on a ranch. It was a small community, and your word meant something..at least until/unless you destroyed your reputation by being dishonest. If you were caught in a lie, everyone knew it, and you were blacklisted..people did not want to do business with you if you could not be trusted. Farmers/ranchers did not allow their daughters to date men/boys with poor reputations.

So, my question is, of course, why does the VA repeatedly get away with lies? This employee should be disciplined..if he is not sure of his 'facts' he should not be reporting them to the Veteran as facts.

Am I the only one who has noticed this?

These employees...the ones that shredded our evidence in 41 seperate regional offices...isn't it amazing that not one manager knew about this widespread shredding? Where WERE those managers when this went on..in the Grand Caymen Islands sipping margarittas while they were being paid as 'working' at the VA? Did they never go to the mailroom or where documents were shredded to check on employees? If not, why not? Is the shredder bin 'off limits' to Va management personnel?

Why is it that random conversations with VA employees are not recorded, for quality control, and to check honesty? Is the Va management so busy putting out fires that they dont have time to check on their employees they are supposed to be supervising to see if maybe they are "properly trained" to do things like being honest with Veterans?

Does this take a rocket scientist to do unannounced spot checks on employee honesty or items in shredder bins? Or, does that employee 'have something on' Va management, so managers 'look the other way' when this stuff happens?

• HadIt.com Elder

SMT = service medical treatment.

Red Flags?

This is the National Archives and Record Administration and/or the VA (according to which request you may be talking about, after all, you SHOULD request your records from BOTH places in St. Louis.

Why would you be concerned about "red flags"?

But, to answer your question, yes, "personal" should work.

LarryJ, on the form 180 does it matter what Box I check under 2.Purpose. Should I check Benefits, Personal, Medical???

Didn't know if certain boxes checked made a difference on there responce time. Thanks