Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Mental Health Appointment

Rate this question

Signal6

Question

So I had my first Mental Health appointment at the VA. The TBI clinic suggested I go for symptoms of PTSD. It was pretty uneventful and the shrink was cool. She said I have PTSD and suggested counselling. I am being scheduled for individual conselling in the next few weeks. I guess I should do a FOIA in few weeks to see what the Doc put in her report, any other suggestions?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

not sure if a foia is necessary. i think most folks give it a little while and just request from the records department at the va medical center, vamc, where they got treatment. experts?

that's a foia whenever you request records. You should put in your request "in accordance to the Freedom of Information Act" >>>>>>>Indicating foia is just letting them know you know this regulation and they should comply with it even though there are certain instances they have the choice to not release, even in the request regarding foia.

not sure if a foia is necessary. i think most folks give it a little while and just request from the records department at the va medical center, vamc, where they got treatment. experts?

Carlie,

Would the records from a VA outpatiend clinic be available at the VAMC?

Thanks

If its at a VAMC just go to Release of Records and they will

have you sign a release there.

I'd wait about 10 days to 2 weeks.

jmho,

carlie

Edited by Signal6

my VSO suggested I go to the shrink to help my claim..

my doctor used to ask me to go, because I had gone through so much suffering over the years. I really prefer not to go to a shrink. I go to please them to show that I really want my health to get better. But, I see little value in going to sit there and tel them how sick I am and how screwed up it is being sick.. but, I do it, if it helps my claim.

I just don't see how it helps.. and I defintely do not want them to give me any drugs,, not for depression..

Just thought I would chime in with why I went..

B)