Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Streamlining Claims Process

Rate this question

BMCS00

Question

It's easy enough to complain about how long it takes to get what seems to be a simple claim through the process in a timely fashion. We all know complaining does little good unless the right person hears it.

Some of you have worked as a VSR or for the VA in some other capacity in your past, most of us sit around and wait for our claims to be finished to our satisfaction.

How about post here some ways to improve the process. I think it takes too long between Comp & Pen exam to rating decision, but I don't know or understand the process in between. I think a timeline should be established for a new claim, from the day it arrives at the VBA to the day a rating decision is made. How long should it take for each step of the process? How many steps to the process are there? Are we really just searching for the holy grail in the world of disability claims processing?

I would like to foster some discussion here, and see what we can come up with ... what do you say?

Jim

Life is good! B)

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Since that I am pretty new to hadit.com, I have to ask, what is VA IRIS?? How do you get to the site??

Thanks, Scott

30%Depression,20% DDD, 10% Sinusitis, 10% Tinnutis

AD2 HC-130H, AirCrewman, Dropmaster

CGAS San Francisco

CGAS Sacramento

Spes meo in Deo est

"Semper Paratus"

Since that I am pretty new to hadit.com, I have to ask, what is VA IRIS?? How do you get to the site??

Thanks, Scott

Department of Veterans Affairshttps://iris.va.gov/ - Similar

ok you can ask all kinds of questions about your claim status and a lot more,i have used it a lot and it is very secure, your questions and whatever else are routed to the appropriate place and you usually get an answer within a week sometimes sooner.

Thanks, Scott

Another thing i like to do is save my iris responses for future references it is really great ,you are getting info directly from the horses mouth.

Berta

I agree with your statement, "the VCAA letter I received gave me no statements whatsoever as to what evidence the VA needed."My VCAA letter also did not say anything except "generic stuff" that could probably be found on the VA website. It should say specific things like, "The evidence we need is a nexus statment linking your condition to military service from Dr. Jones, or another doctor"

While I certainly agree that many/most Veterans NEED the VA's assistance with their claim, most dont get it. Instead, the Va is more interested in evidence to deny. I wish I could shout "whoopie" to the VA's announcement that they are "streamlining" the process, but, frankly, I dont beleive them. There is simply too much financial incentive for the VA to delay your claim for them to want to hurry it up. I will reiterate the VA's financial incentive to delay your claim. First, of course, delaying your claim often means you die, so it is never paid and the VA makes out like a bandit. Second, the Veteran can become so sick that he simply does not have the strength to fight the VA any more and gives up. Finally, even if the Veteran eventually wins and gets his benefits 10 years or 20 years later, the VA has used his money, interest free for years. Of course, most people dont understand how important the interest is. When you buy a home, unless you pay cash, you pay more for the interest than you do for the home! A typical $800 per month house payment is usually more than $700 interest, and only about $100 or less goes to the principal. So, no matter what happens, when the VA delays your claim they win big. We loose in every case. The deck is stacked against us. This is the reason the VA delays..it isnt about computers, or paper files..its about money, and the VA gets paid big time to delay our claims. If someone paid me big bucks to stand around and delay, and waste time, I guess I would do it also.

The VCAA was supposed to HELP Veterans, while, in your case and others, the VCAA letters are often used as excuses to delay/deny.

• HadIt.com Elder

You don't win claims by complimenting the VA. You win by evidence. The VCAA is supposed to be the roadmap to winning your claim. Mine have been deficient.