VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fired For Treatment Of Service-connected Disabilities?

Rate this question

ej10

Question

I am a Congressional staffer and am currently working on a bill that would protect veterans from losing their jobs for needing "too much" time off for the treatment of service-connected disabilities. I am very interested in hearing from anyone who has been in this situation.

Have you ever lost a job for your dr. appointments, time spent traveling to the VA clinic, etc.? Or been unable to get the treatment you needed (e.g. missed appointments) because you couldn't afford to lose your job? Or do you know anyone who has? It would be good if we could share some of these stories as we're working on this legislation.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I as terminated in 06 from a very good job. I was fired because of my SC disabilities and even have a letter stating the fact.

I did lose my health and life insurance as EREISA is a Joke.

Do something about that and I will support you.

J

My wife had a similar problem with a government position she had successfully held for fifteen years. I ended up calling the head of the small agency, and asked if they were willing to pay for the cost of a doctors appointment needed solely to provide the required letter, pointing out that it was not a medical necessity, and therefore an insurance claim for payment would be fraudulent. (They backed off)

Chuck75 the funny thing about it is, I work for the military, the same people that cause all my SC disabilities and they do not want to let me off to see the Doc and complain about me being sick.They try and make it hard, I just go by the rules, which make them go by the rules and if they get the rules wrong I point them out to my boss so he can get it right the next time.

Thanks Ken

I'll try to go with the flow.

I would appreciate knowing what elected official wants to know this information so I may contact that person by way of email or whatever they prefer.

On the surface this seems to be a worthwhile survey.

On the other hand, "no brainer" also seems to be appropiate.

I have several long war stories that cover 'How to Become Unemployed' by virtue of having served.

I just don't want to wear out my typing finger on another 'Do Nothing' hidden agenda.

sledge